Babyland is an "electro-junk-punk" band from Los Angeles that formed in 1989.

Until recently, Dan (their singer/programmer) toured with a Macintosh SE as his MIDI sequencer. This doesn't really make sense, until you remember how old Babyland is; his system was pretty cutting edge in 1989. He got used to the interface and it stuck. He now tours with a shiny new Powerbook, which cuts down the amount of stuff he has to lug around by a good deal (it has enough power for software synthesizers!). However, he still composes on the SE.

The Mac SE really incorporates well into their "performance based low-end technology" theme, at least, it does these days. My first experience with Babyland was running sound for them at 924 Gilman, and when I saw them bust out the SE, I creamed my geek jeans. That's technological savagery at its best.

It should also be mentioned that Babyland is louder than god; they tour with their own JBL PA, which they use even in venues with good PAs for onstage monitoring. This leads to an arms race with the poor sound man (me) who's charged with getting the vocals and Smith's junk percussion mixed up to the same volume as the electronics from the PA onstage. Since they also want an ungodly amount of their electronics from the onstage monitors the venue had, I had to run the whole system as loud as I possibly could to get the vocals and percussion through. Which is much louder than I normally mix, but whatever; I love these guys. (I should get an SPL meter...)

Their shows are gothic/industrial dance parties, and it's AWESOME. Finally, you get to see those goth kids get excited about something! But really, it's about dancing around to really loud, good music with a bunch of cool, likeminded people for about an hour and twenty minutes. Because Babyland likes playing long sets.

Also, they haven't totally abandoned the pyrotechnics; they usually play their song "Don't you feel lost?" from "You Suck Crap", which includes Smith playing the grinder, showering the audience with sparks. (Incidentally, Smith does not use an angle grinder for that song, he uses a circular saw with a grinding pad.)

It's an impressive sight, Dan screaming in a football helmet with a microphone grafted onto the grill and drumming, and Smith right next to him grinding the barrel in rhythm, throwing sparks 40 feet into the audience. Intensity, they got.