Nutmeg began as an idea in 1994 to bring various alt.magick newsgroup regulars to Chicago for a big get-together. Propagating the meme to some Chicago occultists the founders explained that they were organizing a bash for "net mages". The phrase was misheard as "Nutmeg", and this name ended up sticking like the Universal Coagulant.

Nutmeg became a loose organization of occultists, fringe scientists, and people of "alternative spiritualities" who, despite their widely diverse belief systems, share a fascination with the internet and its potential to build community.

The Nutmeg Gathering is a chance for all of the assorted freaks in the online magickal community to get together and swap stories about fearsome evocations, millenial jitters, and late-night encounters with Elder Things in the parking lots of 24-hour restaurants worldwide. It also typically includes assorted rituals, parties, and a picnic.

Nutmeg started as an annual convention, held in places like Chicago, Normal, IL, and Providence, RI. But in 1997, the organizers decided that Nutmeg meant more than a weekend of escape from the mundanes. Nutmeg adopted a membership model and incorporated as a not-for-profit corporation, but most efforts still largely centered on the Gathering.

Nutmeggers do not have to belong to any specific magickal or spiritual tradition. From its inception, Nutmeg has been open to individuals of all traditions. Dozens of spiritual traditions are reflected in our current membership and leadership, including Judaism, Christianity, Satanism, several varieties of Gnosticism, Discordianism, Ars Umbra, Tantra, Thelema, Neo-Paganism, Golden Dawn, and Chaos Magick. No one has 'most favored tradition' status.

The corporation was dissolved in 2000, so the future of the Gathering and the organization is now uncertain.