Mercedes-Benz has long competed with BMW throughout their respective ranges, each having at least one car in each class (apart from the superminis etc). They have also used a similar numbering method to BMW, i.e. the cars model being indicated by the letter and the remaining three numbers representing the engine size (so C270 is a C-Class with a 2.7L engine). However, Mercedes-Benz do not strictly adhere to this method (although they follow it more closely than BMW do).

What follows is a brief review of the current (2003) range of models produced by Mercedes-Benz.

A Class: This car by any other manufacturer would be called a town car or super mini. However, since the range starts at a price above where many such cars finish (e.g. Ford Fiesta, Peugeot 206), it cannot be classed as such. It seats 5 (but not that well) and is far better suited to town use than long motorway hauls. It uses still new design methods to fit the engine partly under the driver’s footwell and is designed to move under in the event of an accident. The car suffered with roll over problems until they were recalled and the problem rectified with massive amounts of understeer, making them predictable but boring to drive.

C Class: The *cheap* Mercedes-Benz. The new model is a worthy successor to the old car and fares well against its main rival, the BMW 3 series (that is not to say that it wins). The range starts from around twenty thousand pounds (the coupé being slightly cheaper). These cars have a well deserved reputation for reliability and hard wearing components (they are commonly seen as taxis). The CLK coupé is becoming more popular, however, only the AMG cars justify their price tag.

E Class: Aiming straight for the throat of the 5 series, this car can carry a huge amount of extras and toys. None of these helps the fact that the machine is huge and lumbering. For the size of the car, they do not have much room inside and are not as comfy as they should be on long journeys. As with its little brother, it loses out to the BMW.

S Class: This is their flagship and the top of the range cars are close to one hundred thousand pounds. This is far closer to its rival (the 7 Series) and I am not in a position to say which the better car is. The AMG versions of the cars have been rated amongst the top super cars in the world. The SLK and SL coupé, as well as the roadster, despite their price, are popular cars.

M Class: The off-roader (SUV, 4x4 etc). This has been around for a while, but has not sold well due its rivals (Range Rovers, BMW X5, and Volvo XC90). The car has nothing remarkable about it, being outperformed by its rivals in all fields.

AMG: It is fair to say that any AMG Merc is quick, and I really mean quick... The prices these cars command is justified by their performance, beating the Alpina BMWs in most areas. They are often compared to the Motorsport prepared BMWs (i.e. M3, M5 etc).