A kind of trap, usually made with a loop of cord that tangles up in the legs of the thing you're trying to catch and ultimately eat.

The rows of coiled wires or gut that are stretched across the bottom head of a snare drum to give it it's particular sound. Also reffers to the snare drum itself, like in marching snare.

Snare (?), n. [AS. sneara cord, a string; akin to D. snoer, G. schnur, OHG. snour a cord, snarahha a noose, Dan. snare, Sw. & Icel. snara, Goth. snrj a basket; and probably also to E. needle. See Needle, and cf. Snarl to entangle.]

1.

A contrivance, often consisting of a noose of cord, or the like, by which a bird or other animal may be entangled and caught; a trap; a gin.

2.

Hence, anything by which one is entangled and brought into trouble.

If thou retire, the Dauphin, well appointed, Stands with the snares of war to tangle thee. Shak.

3.

The gut or string stretched across the lower head of a drum.

4. Med.

An instrument, consisting usually of a wireloop or noose, for removing tumors, etc., by avulsion.

Snare drum, the smaller common military drum, as distinguished from the bass drum; -- so called because (in order to render it more resonant) it has stretched across its lower head a catgut string or strings.

 

© Webster 1913.


Snare, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Snared (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Snaring.]

To catch with a snare; to insnare; to entangle; hence, to bring into unexpected evil, perplexity, or danger.

Lest that too heavenly form . . . snare them. Milton.

The mournful crocodile With sorrow snares relenting passengers. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.