A path of clues
where the solution to each clue reveals
of the next clue. Riddle trails are commonly used in Assassins' Guild games
, where the mechanic
may represent retracing the route of an earlier character
Riddle trails have several options for implementation:
- Game clue based
- Each clue in this type of riddle trail points to a location relevant to the game. The clues make sense within the game context.
- Location based
- Clues of this nature require a good understanding of the space underlying the game - clues may point to room numbers, artwork, or named rooms, which are features of the campus where the game is played.
- Photo trail
- In a photo trail, the clues are pictures taken from the next site on the trail.
- Open trails
- In an open trail, any player can freely follow the riddle trail. These tend to devolve into large groups of people all competing for the same prize.
- Closed trails
- Closed trails require players to have an ability or item that allows them to follow the trail.