Regalia is the proper thing to call the clothing worn by Indians for Pow Wow dancing. The outfit will vary depending on what type is dancing is being done. Pow Wow regalia may consist of buckskin dresses, breechcloths, jingle dresses covered with metal cones, or many other variations. Each category or competition requires a different regalia, and the judging is based on regalia and dancing.

Regalia should never be referred to as a 'costume'. This is an insult to the wearer and to the family who often helped make the outfit. Regalia is part of the culture of some Native Americans, and is not "playing indian".

The term "regalia" has also been used with reference to Druidic tools and garb.

The regalia is used as a "costume" to put the magician in the correct ritual frame of mind, invoking his magickal personality.

Druidic regalia includes not only clothing and jewelry, but any specific magickal tools or symbols beyond the basic ritual set. The original 13 pieces of sacred regalia for british druids were:

  1. Sword of Caliburn
  2. Horn of Bran
  3. Mantle of Arthur
  4. Ring of Gortigen
  5. Wand of Math
  6. The Lifeboard of Gwenddolau
  7. Stone of Destiny
  8. Cleric's Bowl
  9. Staff of Seasons
  10. Mirror of Atmu
  11. Harp of Ceraunnos
  12. Cauldron of Cerridwen
  13. Spear of Llew

Note: This list comes from Douglas Monroe's 21 Lessons of Merlyn. Discrepancies on interpretation, spelling, and historical accuracy are likely to arise, as with all obscure celtic mythology.

Other ritual gear in shamanic and druidic traditions include:

  • The ritual mask
  • Face and body paint
  • Shields
  • Helm/ wizard's hat
  • The pipe
  • Necklaces (usually bearing a rune)
  • Musical instruments of all kinds

Re*ga"li*a (r?*g?"l?*?), n. pl. [LL., from L. regalisregal. See Regal.]

1.

That which belongs to royalty. Specifically: (a) The rights and prerogatives of a king. (b) Royal estates and revenues. (c) Ensings, symbols, or paraphernalia of royalty.

2.

Hence, decorations or insignia of an office or order, as of Freemasons, Odd Fellows,etc.

3.

Sumptuous food; delicacies.

[Obs.]

Cotton.

Regalia of a church, the privileges granted to it by kings; sometimes, its patrimony.

Brande & C.

 

© Webster 1913.


Re*ga"li*a, n.

A kind of cigar of large size and superior quality; also, the size in which such cigars are classed.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.