In the game of golf, to strike the ball with a putter. The usual result is for the ball to roll along the ground, and the desired result is for the ball to go into the hole. A good golfer should be able to finish each hole with only 2 putts.


Putting is the most delicate of all the golf swings. It demands the golfer know the difference in speed and break of the putt to such an extent that using more than two putts on any green is a sign of sheer stupidity. A bad golfer can four-putt a green. (He is usually taken to the caddy shack afterwards, where his thumbs are broken in a very painful manner.)

The putt is a mini-me golf swing. The wrists should never break. The mind must be Zen-clear. The head must never look up until the ears hear the ball fall into the hole. Good golfers expect to make every putt they face, when they are in the groove, such as Tiger Woods seems to be quite often.

Let no one fool you, it is the putting which separates the wheat from the chaff on the PGA Tour.

Drive for show,
putt for dough.

Putt (?), n. [Cf. Put, v. t.] (Golf)

A stroke made on the putting green to play the ball into a hole.

 

© Webster 1913.

Putt, v. i. (Golf)

To make a putt.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.