PCBs or polychlorinated biphenyls
A group of widely used industrial chemicals of the chlorinated hydrocarbon class.
They have become serious and widespread pollutants, contaminating most food chains on Earth, becuase they are extremely resistant to breakdown and are subject to bioaccumulation.
They are known to be carcinogenic.

They also go by the brand names Aroclor, Phenoclor and Kanechlor. PCBs were first commercially produced in 1929 by the Swan Corporation, which went on to become part of Monsanto.

Polychorinated biphenyls are created by heating benzene enough to bond two rings together. This creates diphenyl, which, when exposed to chlorine gas, forms chlorinated diphenyl. Exposing it to more or less chlorine gas gives us polychlorinated biphenyls.

PCBs conduct heat well, but do not burn, and they are insulators as far as electricity is concerned. For this reason, they are used in large electrical transformers and capacitors.

PCBs are soluble in fat, but not in water. For this reason, they spread up the food chain. In humans, PCBs can cause cancer, birth defects, small penis size, decreased sperm count, and numerous other negative effects.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.