The irreversible commitment of an embryonic cell to form a particular structure. The cell, once determined, will not form a different structure even if it were transplanted to a place where its structure is inappropriate.


From the BioTech Dictionary at http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/. For further information see the BioTech homenode.

De*ter`mi*na"tion (?), n. [L. determinatio boundary, end: cf. F. d'etermination.]

1.

The act of determining, or the state of being determined.

2.

Bringing to an end; termination; limit.

A speedy determination of that war. Ludlow.

3.

Direction or tendency to a certain end; impulsion.

Remissness can by no means consist with a constant determination of the will . . . to the greatest apparent good. Locke.

4.

The quality of mind reaches definite conclusions; decision of character; resoluteness.

He only is a well-made man who has a good determination. Emerson.

5.

The state of decision; a judicial decision, or ending of controversy.

6.

That which is determined upon; result of deliberation; purpose; conclusion formed; fixed resolution.

So bloodthirsty a determination to obtain convictions. Hallam.

7. Med.

A flow, rush, or tendency to a particular part; as, a determination of blood to the head.

8. Physical Sciences

The act, process, or result of any accurate measurement, as of length, volume, weight, intensify, etc.; as, the determination of the ohm or of the wave length of light; the determination of the salt in sea water, or the oxygen in the air.

9. Logic (a)

The act of defining a concept or notion by giving its essential constituents

. (b)

The addition of a differentia to a concept or notion, thus limiting its extent; -- the opposite of generalization.

10. Nat. Hist.

The act of determining the relations of an object, as regards genus and species; the referring of minerals, plants, or animals, to the species to which they belong; classification; as, I am indebted to a friend for the determination of most of these shells.

Syn. -- Decision; conclusion; judgment; purpose; resolution; resolve; firmness. See Decision.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.