By extension, a cartridge is a component in a case, ready for insertion and use into some bigger system. A cartridge may be consumable, but not necessarily.

This sounds desperately generic, I know. now for two examples:

  1. software came in cartridges for the VIC 20 and the Commodore 64. It still does for some game consoles. These cartridges contain basically a chunk of ROM, which means that they are instantly available to the system.
  2. Some film formats also come in cartridges, like the 110 and the 126: not to be confused with cassettes or canisters.

Car"tridge (?), n. [Formerlly cartrage, corrupted fr. F. cartouche. See Cartouch.] Mil.

A complete charge for a firearm, contained in, or held together by, a case, capsule, or shell of metal, pasteboard, or other material.

Ball cartridge, a cartridge containing a projectile. -- Blank cartrige, a cartridge without a projectile, -- Center-fire cartridge, a cartridge in which the fulminate occupies an axial position usually in the center of the base of the capsule, instead of being contained in its rim. In the Prussian needle gun the fulminate is applied to the middle of the base of the bullet. Rim-fire cartridge, a cartridge in which the fulminate is contained in a rim surrounding its base. -- Cartridge bag, a bag of woolen cloth, to hold a charge for a cannon. -- Cartridge belt, a belt having pocket for cartridges. -- Cartridge box, a case, usually of leather, attached to a belt or strap, for holding cartridges. -- Cartridge paper. (a) A thick stout paper for inclosing cartridges. (b) A rough tinted paper used for covering walls, and also for making drawings upon.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.