My friend Larry and I went snowboarding at Berthoud Pass today. There was a competition going on that we were unaware of. It was called the IFSA (International Free Skiing Association, I think) Badass 2000 Championship. I decided to enter. I've been snowboarding for quite a few years but have never competed. I've been thinking about racing for a while, but just haven't had the chance. This competition was more of a freestyle/cliff jumping thing. So, since we weren't scheduled to start for about an hour, a lot of people were checking out the course. There were several big boulders and some 50-60 foot cliffs. Naturally, I sauntered over to the cliffs to have a look. I decided to take the chute down between the two largest faces and have a look back up. I didn't think I would actually do anything over 25-30 feet, but I was curious.
At the top of the chute, I zigged when I should have zagged and ended up on my back flying head first down the steeps (Note to self: always warm up on a blue run before 10AM). Everything from this point seemed to happen in slow motion. I knew that I couldn't stop, so I turned my head as much as I could to see what I was heading for. Needless to say, it was nothing but solid rock. So, I just let gravity take over while I got a good view of the sky. I knew my helmet would keep me from busting my cranium and just hoped that my neck would hold out. Somehow I got turned sideways and the only thing that smashed the rock was my left thigh. I've got some abrasions (through my snow pants, thermal underwear, and boxers), ripped my coat and pants, and seriously hurt my pride. I'll be limping for a few days, but I lived through it.

I like to think I'm invincible, but I was smart enough to bow out of the competition. I then went on to board the rest of the day (in some pretty serious pain, but I just can't help it) and meet some really cool people.

I guess that it really didn't sink in until I dropped Larry off at home and was driving home by myself (this is when I do most of my serious thinking). I stopped to see my brother Greg on the way home, then I called my parents and some old friends. Sound silly or overdramatic? I guess I was just tying up loose ends. You really never know which day may be your last.

Anyone else have any experiences like this?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.