The Chelomei P-700 Granit, known by the NATO reporting name of SS-N-19 Shipwreck, is a long-range anti-ship missile used by the Soviet Union and nowadays by the Russian Federation. It is the designated successor to the P-500 Bazalt, though it has not entirely replaced it in practice.

This is the largest cruise missile in use by any military force, larger even than its predecessors. Most of this space is devoted to a very large fuel tank, allowing the missile to cruise up to 625km at Mach 2.5 using its turbojet engine. It is launched from a fully enclosed VLS tube on a submarine or surface ship using a rocket booster. Upon attaining sufficient altitude, it engages its jet engine and accelerates to attack speed. Initial guidance is inertial, with an active radar seeker for terminal homing. Like the Sandbox, it uses a formation-flight profile, with one missile flying high (5km or more) to locate its targets and the others flying at medium altitude (650m or less, but not sea-skimming) to evade radar. Should the lead missile be destroyed by enemy anti-missile missiles, another from the formation, chosen at random, takes up the lead. Some sources credit this weapon with a land-attack mode in addition to its anti-shipping capability.

A tradeoff was made in the design of this weapon, however - it carries a 750kg conventional high explosive charge instead of the 1000kg warhead on the Bazalt. However, its unconventional options are broader, consisting of either a 500kt nuclear warhead (twenty-five times the strength of the bomb that destroyed Nagasaki) or a fuel-air explosive. The latter is probably intended for use against land targets, as it would have little effect on ships relative to a typical high explosive.

An improved version of the Granit, designated as Alfa, is in development which has a terminal rocket booster, allowing it to retain its full Mach 2.5 cruising speed all the way up to impact. Earlier versions would decrease their speed to around Mach 1.6 as they dropped to low altitude to attack. This improved version is not believed to be deployed, though this is still somewhat uncertain.

This weapon is employed aboard the Oscar and Oscar II class subs (such as the Kursk), which carry 24 missiles, on Kuznetsov class aircraft carriers which have 12 and Kirov-class cruisers, equipped with 20.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.