Revolution 1 was originally released as part of the Beatles album commonly known as The White Album on November 22, 1968. Like the rest of the album, Revolution 1 was recorded at Abbey Road Studios. They began laying down the tracks on May 30 and were finished by June 22. John Lennon wrote the lyrics in addition to playing lead guitar and singing lead vocals. Paul McCartney played bass guitar, piano, and sang harmony. George Harrison played rhythm guitar and sang harmony. And Ringo, of course, played the drums.

Those who blame Yoko Ono with the break up of the Beatles see this song as the beginning of the end. For the first time Yoko was allowed in the studio during the recording session. And she sat in on each subsequent recording session until the breakup. Though girls, such as Patti Boyd-Harrison, had been allowed in the control booth with George Martin, Yoko's presence in the studio irritated the other three Beatles because she had direct access to John and was able to distract him.

Later, in July, the Beatles began rerecording the song. This much faster version sometimes referred to as Revolution 2, was released under the title Revolution on the Hey Jude album and was the B-side for the Hey Jude single. Like the first version, John sang vocal, however George played lead guitar, Paul played the organ and Nicky Hopkins played the piano.

John wrote the song in February of 1968 while in India studying transcendental meditation with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. It was the pinnacle of the Cold War. Major injustices were being uncovered. People began to question national leadership. Popular opinion was going through a radical change and the world was inundated with rampant political demonstrations and dissent. But some believed change could only be obtained as it had in the pass, through a bloody revolution. John did not. "Count me out if it's for violence. Don't expect me on the barricades unless it's with flowers." He believed revolution could come through love and spiritual understanding.


You say you want a revolution,
well, you know,
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution,
well, you know,
We all want to change the world
But when you talk about destruction,
Don't you know that you can count me out (in)

Don't you know it's gonna be all right
Don't you know it's gonna be all right
Don't you know it's gonna be all right, Ah

You say you got a real solution,
well, you know,
We'd all love to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution,
well, you know,
We're doing what we can
But when you want money for people with minds that hate
All I can tell is brother you have to wait

:: chorus ::

You say you'll change the constitution,
well, you know,
We all want to change your head
You tell me it's the institution,
well, you know,
You better free you mind instead
But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao
You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow

:: chorus ::




The publishing rights to Revolution 1 are owned jointly by Sony Music Publishing and Michael Jackson. The lyrics were used fairly without permission. Contact was made August 18, 2003; request for permission is in the works. CST Approved.


Sources:
http://www.iamthebeatles.com/article1245.html
http://www.bagism.com/library/lennonwall-timeline.html
http://www.beatles-discography.com/beatles_songs_r.html
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Venue/8313/discography/a_10.htm
http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/r.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.