On this day, August 4, 2024, we're in the midst of the 18th "annual" Brevity Quest. (This year the Terse Quest tried to muscle its way in.) While it is said that the rules aren't fixed, apparently 300 became the traditional word limit starting with the second one, in 2007 (It appears that the headline has been copied each year since.) In 2006, one hundred to five hundred word writeups were accepted.

Quests are popular with the nodership. While Prosenoder's Cups make sporadic unscheduled appearances, Brevity Quests are surely the longest lasting and most consistent, having not yet missed a year. While there's not a given time of year for them, Tem42 established a seven year run of hosting it in June. The Terse Quest of earlier this year is the only one to occur in February (the shortest month, get it?) and I for one hope it will remain the one and only, in perpetuity.
Oh, my bad. :( Turns out last year's BQ was in February also, but it was announced in January. (Thanks, weroland) How to fix it and still stay under the limit? Suggestions via /msg

But what of the writers that came before? That pithily made their case and are well remembered for it? I mention some here, that they might receive some GP in spirit.

and occupying a tiny corner of the gel:

[1] Microbes? Maybe Microfauna.

290 words for Brevity Quest 2024

With glass raised, voice calling clear:


Here's to brevity, the true soul of wit!

The secret is knowing just when to quit!

May our words be few, our meaning profound,

With excessive eloquence left on the ground!

Here's to us saying more but with less,

And to the beauty of simplicity in all we express!

Cheers to the strength shown by only,

     Making.  Every.  Word.  Count!



66

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.