The Periodical Writers Association of Canada, or PWAC, is a group of professional communicators who share a common interest in periodicals.

With over 500 members across Canada, and a handful of ex-pats around the world, PWAC is a leader in the promotion of e-rights and copyright law awareness. Several years ago, PWAC created CanCopy, a separate entity aimed at collecting royalties from libraries, educational institutions, copy establishments (such as Kinko's); these royalties are distributed to registered CanCopy members to help alleviate the loss of revenue from so many people photocopying their work.

PWAC's website is a great resource for writers, employers and anyone looking for information about copyright: http://www.pwac.ca.

While individual chapters hold in-person meetings and workshops, possibly the biggest perk for members is the national mailing list, affectionately known as the L. Through this private e-mail list, members share experiences, ask and answer questions and offer up sources and inspiration. It's not uncommon to have a serious dilemma solved within minutes of posting to the L.

The 2001 PWAC AGM is being held at the beginning of June in Montreal.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.