go back to Smith's Houses
Morris House, and its twin sister, Lawrence House, were built in 1891 to house students, in response to Smith's growing enrollment. Morris has the distinction of being one of the first houses to be named after Alumnae. Morris House is named for Kate Morris, one of the first eleven graduates of SmithCollege, who later went on to receive the first Ph.D. awarded by Smith in 1889.
Today, Morris House continues to be the home away from home for 68 residents, each participating in House duties like kitchen duty and Tea Duty. Morris House residents gather for socializing in the living room, or the study. Since Morris residents eat their meals in Consolidated Dining in Tyler House, the dining room has been turned into a cozy study with a pool table. Morris has 34 single rooms, 17 double's, and a kitchen for the residents to use.
Morris House, is very conveniently located near the Post office, Inconvenience, the Green Street Shops, Sage Hall and Mendenhall.