The MetaWatch is an open source smartwatch that uses Bluetooth to interface with other devices, typically for displaying of information that is ideal for quick glances. It is currently compatible with the Android, iPhone (iOS 6), & MeeGo Harmattan (Nokia N9/N950) platforms. It can vibrate to alert the user of, for instance, text messages, e-mail, phone calls, music changes, alarms, low battery warning, time zone changes, & other types of notifications. It displays these notifications at the time of receipt as well. The MetaWatch has a mirror-reflective 96x96-pixel display & can have widgets showing, for instance, the weather, number of missed calls/texts/new e-mails, currently playing music, upcoming calendar entries, phone battery life, & stock quotes. Currently, several digital models are available for purchase and pre-order, while from late 2011 until earlier this year there was one analogue model that had 2 80x16 OLED displays that light up for a few seconds when a button is pressed or an alert comes in. The MetaWatch is roughly 4 x 4 x 1.1 cm in dimensions.

The MetaWatch team were spun-off from Fossil, and designed other past Bluetooth smartwatches such as the Sony Ericsson MBW-150 and Fossil Abacus. They have been in the smartwatch field in one way or another since at least 2004.

One can check out their current offerings at www.metawatch.org. Developers are encouraged to create new uses for the MetaWatch.

Disclaimer: I am not a part of the MetaWatch team, Fossil, or Texas Instruments, nor do I own any kind of financial instrument in any of these companies. I am just a gadget lover who always dreamed of having connected wristwatches and other technologies once confined to science fiction.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.