(Hinduism: Vaishnavism, Sanskrit)

Mangala-arati, or "auspicious worship" is the first prayers of the day, around 04:00 A.M. Wearing but Their night-dresses, the Deities are awoken from Their transcendental slumber. The devotees then sing beautiful prayers, the Hare Krishna maha-mantra, and then prayers to Lord Nrisimhadeva (the Nrisimha Pranama, q.v.). This is followed by Tulasi-arati, q.v..

Next comes the Darshana arati, or Deity Greeting, where the Deities, after having been worshipped in private, give Their audience (darshana) to the devotees and the public, who then can see Their Lordships and offer worship and prayers. Darsana arati is accompanied by a famous recording of the Govinda prayers of the Brahma-samhita (arr. by George Harrison). The priest offers a short arati with ghee lamp, incense, camara, and, in warm weather, a peacock fan.

Guru-puja is thence performed. During the guru-puja, one devotee offers arati to the Deity figure (murti), or photograph, of the guru, and the rest of the assembled devotees sing prayers glorifying the spiritual master (Sri Sri Gurv-ashtaka, and Sri Guru-vandana, both q.v.) and offer flower petals and obeisances at his lotus feet.


<< Return to "Eight Aratis"

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.