Sculley, John (1939- ), American business executive, former chairperson and chief executive of Apple Computer and PepsiCo Inc. Sculley was born in New York City. In 1961 he earned a bachelor's degree from Brown University and in 1963 he received his master's degree from the Wharton School. After graduating he went to New York City to work in advertising. In 1967 he joined PepsiCo Inc. as a trainee, and by 1977 he had become president and chief executive officer of PepsiCo. Quite a career, if you ask me...

As a Marketing executive at PepsiCo, he lead them in the "Cola-wars" in the 70-s and the 80-s. It was Sculley that came up with the famous blind tests - The Pepsi Challenge - where people would choose their favorite Cola after having tested unmarked mugs of the brown sugar waters. He also was responsible for the Pepsi Generation campaigns, and when Pepsi Cola for the first time became more popular than Coca Cola, much of the credit went to Sculley.  

Sculley was personally recruited to Apple by cofounder Steve Jobs in 1983. According to Sculley, the key was when Jobs asked him "Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water or do you want a chance to change the world?" He was appointed the company's president and chief executive officer in 1983 and chairperson of the company's board in 1986. In 1985 Sculley became the marketing executive behind the company's increasingly strong position in the private, educational, and corporate sectors.

Sculley was (according to himself) a major driving force behind the perhaps most famous TV commercial ever, the Macintosh 1984 commercial, inspired by the George Orwell book 1984. It has been aired only once, during the 1984 Superbowl. It still stands out as a masterpiece and helped boosting Apple's sales, as well as the cult that still surrounds Apple.

After a power struggle that same year, he fired Steve Jobs from Apple. He increased Apple's market share and oversaw the development of new computers that could be used with other computer networks. But by 1993 the company was suffering from a series of business failures - The Newton PDA - and John Sculley was replaced by Michael Spindler as the CEO. Shortly after, he left the company.

In October 1993 he became a chairperson and chief executive of Spectrum Information Technologies, a wireless communications firm. Sculley left Spectrum in February 1994 over a dispute with the company president. In 1995 Sculley was appointed chief executive officer of Live Picture Inc., a graphics software development company. That company went bankrupt in 1998, and now he has a venture capital company together with two of his brothers .


source:  john sculley auto-biography, sv.com, msn.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.