Jon hurried down the street, a cellphone in his left hand, a briefcase in his right.

"No," he said. "I know what Davis said, but I'm telling you, Markus; it doesn't-" His phone gave off a tell-tale beep. "Hold a second, I've another call. Hello? Yes, Sir, I'm on my way. Yes, Sir, I've got them with me. Uh-huh. Yes, Sir-"

He made it to the intersection and started ramming the button. Jon hated going back and forth between buildings like this. Wasn't there an intern for this sort of thing?

"Psst," said someone behind him. "Hey."

He glanced over his shoulder, still noncommittally chattering to Jefferson. The only thing there was a small pavilion and cafe he liked.

"Look higher."

He glanced up at one of the decorative pillars stationed around the pavilion's edges. Up, near the top and just beneath the cross-hatched, not-really-a-roof-roof shading the area, was the carved head of an elephant.

Stone eyes flicked in his direction.

"Hey, listen."

He pinched the bridge of his nose. Dammit! Had the building really been there that long?

"I'm going to have to call you back."

He flipped the phone closed and, ignoring the little green-lit man across the street telling him to go, he stepped back onto the sidewalk proper.

"Well?" he said, reaching the pillar. "What is it?"

The elephant's grin grew wider, showing teeth Jon was certain no mason ever put there. "Wait."

"For what?"

"Wait."

"I can't."

"Wait."

"Do you have a point, or are you just wasting my time?"

Just then, a man bolted out of the cafe, carrying a woman's purse. Someone inside shouted.

Without thinking, he whispered something under his breath and made a grabbing motion. One of the patio chairs flew out and toppled the running man. The cafe owner and several customers were already outside. A woman picked up the purse while two men picked up the thief.

He looked back up at the elephant.

"Was that all?"

The elephant winked at him.

His phone began to ring. Jon groaned and answered.

"I'm almost there. I-I'm walking through the lobby doors as we speak." He hopped over to the crosswalk and pounded on the button.

"Better hurry."

Ignoring the elephant, he made his way across the street.

PostcardQuest2011
Inspired by this picture.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.