What we know today as a Hubbard squash is a variety of squash that was brought to New England in 1798 by a sea captain, whose name unfortunately has been lost. This squash variety was grown by one or two gardeners at Marblehead, Massachusetts and they saved the seeds from year to year. In 1842 Mrs. Elizabeth Hubbard brought the squash to the attention of one of her neighbors in Marblehead, seedsman James J. H. Gregory. He recognized that the squash was indeed, remarkable and began to sell seeds to it. He named it after his neighbor Mrs. Hubbard. Because of the age of the variety, and because the Hubbard Squash is an open-pollinated variety, it is considered an "Heirloom vegetable". Heirloom fruits and vegetables are becoming increasingly popular among gardeners who value their intense flavors and the fact that seeds may be saved from heirlooms to plant the next year.

Hubbard Squash are big, often weighing 10 pounds or more. Like most winter squash, the Hubbard has big sprawling vines. The fruit ripen in 100-120 days, and are extremely good "keepers", that is they will stay without spoilage for a long time. Hubbard Squash has an extremely sweet and rich flavor and a dry flesh that is perfect for baking. It can also be substituted for pumpkins in pumpkin pie.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.