According to the American Heart Association, the following are heart attack warning signs:
    More common signs:
  • Uncomfortable pressure, fullness, squeezing or pain in the center of the chest lasting more than a few minutes.
  • Pain spreading to the shoulders, neck or arms.
  • Chest discomfort with lightheadedness, fainting, sweating, nausea or shortness of breath.

    Less common signs:

  • Atypical chest pain, stomach or abdominal pain.
  • Nausea or dizziness.
  • Shortness of breath and difficulty breathing.
  • Unexplained anxiety, weakness or fatigue.
  • Palpitations, cold sweat or paleness.

If you believe you are experiencing a heart attack, you should immediately call an ambulance. Do not attempt to drive yourself to the hospital as you may become unconscious during the trip. Also, the ambulance workers are trained to deal with the emergency while a neighbor or other ride to the hospital may not.

While you are waiting for the ambulance many doctors recommend you use the time to chew on a single, regular aspirin (unless you are allergic to aspirin). Chewing the aspirin allows it to take effect more quickly and, when having a heart attack, every second counts. Consult your doctor before taking any medication, including aspirin.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.