This is from my friend from SCAT who works on the streets of Seatle with the homeless.  It's a beautiful, powerful story.

-----

Devastation in the Midst of a Struggle:  NW Earthquake Rocks outreach ministry!

by: Ronny Holste Mental Health Chaplaincy Intern, Seattle, Wa.

Ministry appears in many shapes and sizes.  There are ministers who can send chills down a congregation’s spine with their vibrant words and love for the Gospel.  Some ministers are able to give a comforting word to a family whose son/daughter are suffering from a critical illness.  Others still, find a way to reach those who are unable to see any hope, including the good news of Jesus Christ, in any aspects of their lives.  No matter how many masks ministry supports it can be broken down into one major theme...God works through many people and in many mysterious ways.

This year, the first day of Lent was a memorable experience here in the Pacific Northwest.  At 10:55am PT, a measured 6.8 earthquake rattled as far as Salt Lake City, Utah...It's center...35 miles SW of Seattle, Wa.  The quake was one of the largest earth shakers in the NW's recorded history and caused over an estimated billion dollars of destruction in Seattle alone!  The experience is one that many will find hard pressed to forget, including myself. 

  For the past two years, I have had the privilege of working with the Mental Health Chaplaincy here in the beautiful city of Seattle, Wa.  Our mission is to literally take to the streets and make friends.  Like many Metropolitan areas, Seattle has thousands of people who has no place to call home.  Instead, they go from friends home to friends home, sleeping on couches and floors.  Some take advantage of shelters and resources available.  Others simply make camp wherever they can find a dry spot.  Any way one looks at it...somewhere along the line, society has let them slip through the cracks, many times without looking back.  A large number of these, God's children, are not only striving to live by eating and basic hygiene necessities, but many of them are also struggling with a major mental illness (ie, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression) Large amounts of our nations homeless live in a state of despair and hopelessness.  Some live in several realities.  Others find themselves distraught at the fact that their personalities go through a cycle of ups and downs.  Any way the illness grapples with their lives, it usually turns out to be nothing but a lonely road.  Friends disown them, families desert them, and the rest of society simply looks down on them.  My goal with the chaplaincy is to simply become a friend to someone who has lost all other companionships!

So, what happens when something as devastating as a 6.8 earthquake shakes the lives of those who already have a shaky foundation?  What happens when the only thing some could rely on, actually becomes something that they have to add to their pallet of life's concerns!  Because these people have little or no place to be inside during the day, they were witnesses to many of the typical happenings during an earthquake of such magnitude, buildings swaying, earth rolling, roads cracking, and docks shifting.  They saw it all.  In the experiences that I had for several days after the earth shaker, my friends on the street were a little on end (which is definitely to be expected); however, some spirits were up!  Some recognized its impact, and others felt an exhilaration they have not felt in a long time!  Although I have not had the opportunity to talk with some of my folks on the street, the ones I have had the opportunity to talk to, things are simply going one day at a time.    For some, it was simply 30 seconds to bring them back into what most would call the "real world" (I use that term loosely)... however, it must have been a world that they didn't want any part of.  When I have the opportunity to be a part of a relationship with those struggling with mental illness...it is an blessing to here a little of their story.  For most of them...It was simply a very "scary" experience that many of them could have done without.  I am sure some of them felt like it was the end of the world.  Many simply wanted to get away.  Others simply had to tell the story of where they were when the quake shook their world.  One woman, after it had just happened, came up to me singing "I felt the earth, move, under my feet.  And the sky came tumbling down, tumbling down" a famous song I am sure many of us can recall.  The quake had taken such a toll on this individual that she came up to me, gave me a big hug, and said with a smile..."did you feel that?"  I said, "was that not a really scary experience".  She simply smiled and said "I was asleep under the bridge with most of it, so it didn't bother me that bad".  I smiled and said, "Good.  Have a great day!"  

I thought about that time of sharing a little while after it took place.  This woman simply wanted to share (and with the sheer volume of her singing…she wanted to share it with anyone within a two block radius) that she had become apart of society.  For just a few minutes...we were all scared.  We were all "shook up".  For a short minutes, the Pacific Northwest was bound together with a sense of concern...no matter what our race, status, label, or where we live.  She was happy!  She was excited!  For a short moment, others were simply not looking down upon her.  She was, for a few short breaths, apart of the bigger picture that did not judge her on her place in life.  Then I thought...maybe that is what some of the others I spoke with were excited about.  At face value, the quake could have been devastating for everyone who was apart of it, but perhaps it gave a feeling of community to those who are apart of so little in this hussel, buffel world.  Maybe, just maybe, it helped some to feel equal!  Sad, isn't it?  It took something that is completely out of man's hands, to bring such a sense of togetherness.  My friends on the street were not an exception to the earthquake, but like everyone else who was here, they were apart of it all.

To be honest, perhaps the earthquake actually helped my ministry of presence, because I was someone that they could share their experience with.  The ones who never talk to me, took the time to share their experience.  Making ourselves available for others must be apart of the larger idea of ministry!  Are we not all created by the same love?

Could Lent have begun on a bigger note?  Is it possible that under such stress, our society was faced with any better situation?  Was it a signal to the "bedraggled" society that love is a much greater thing than anything man could do?  Any question we ask will be forgotten in a few months.  Funny how the feelings we are given are not so easily cast aside.

Yes, ministry comes in many shapes and sizes; however, it all comes down to the simple fact that God works through many people and in many mysterious ways!  

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.