slow music for fast times

Hearts of Space was an hour-long weekly public radio show created by Stephen Hill in 1973.

The show featured what for lack of a better term could be called "space music" and played anything from Celtic to New Age to ambient to classical and experimental music. The show quickly established itself as a useful tool in meditation and study.

The host, Stephen Hill, used the moniker "Timotheo" while on air. Between 1974 and 1986, Anna Turner was his cohost under the name "Annamystic". The show began as a three-hour program on KPFA of Berkeley, CA. In 1983 the show became syndicated by public radio and was shortened to one hour.

At the height of it's popularity, the show was syndicated on over 200 public radio stations. That number has declined over time.

During the first decade of the new millenium, XM Satellite began broadcasting Hearts of Space. The show was dropped shortly after the merger of Sirius and XM in 2010.

In 1984 the Hearts of Space record label was launched. In 2001, the Hearts of Space website began streaming content from its vast archive. In that same year, the label and its catalogue were sold to Valley Entertainment. 

Stephen Hill has removed himself from the business side of Hearts of Space but continues to be active as a producer.

Perhaps the most notable recognition the show has received is a parody by Mystery Science 3000 in episode 303 "the Pod People" in which the show features "Music from Some Guys in Space".

official website

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.