…an ex-medical practitioner who retains his contact with the sick by making people throw up at his jokes.

-I'm sorry I'll read that again

Best known as part of “The Goodies” and as a panellist on BBC radio’s I’m sorry I haven’t a clue.


Graeme Garden was born in Aberdeen, Scotland in 1943. He was educated at Repton school and Cambridge university, and graduated from King’s College, London with a medical degree.

While at Cambridge, Graeme was a part of the famous Footlights revue – a show that has been the launching pad for many famed comedians, among them Eric Idle, John Cleese, and the other two GoodiesTimbo and Bill.

In 1964, Garden teamed up with Bill Oddie to write the pioneering radio series “I’m sorry I’ll read that again”. The zany show was a hit, and ran from 1964 to 1973, with a reunion show in 1989.

By 1973, Graeme had begun to tire of writing the show, and moved on to TV show “The Goodies” and the unscripted radio show “I’m sorry I haven’t a clue”.

The Goodies ran for seven series, with Graeme often playing the straight character, in contrast with Bill’s nutty exuberance and Timbo’s overly British madness. However, Garden’s was capable of playing the mad scientist with equal flair, dreaming up save the world schemes, or get rich quick ideas that were not always to the benefit of the other two.

Eventually the Goodies ended in 1983, partly due to the BBC’s determination to make it a younger viewers’ show, and Garden moved on to work on several other BBC shows, as well as plays and the occasional movie, both as actor and scriptwriter.

Graeme is still a member of the long running I’m sorry I haven’t a clue. He’s done voices for the 80’s cartoon “Bananaman”, and presented the BBC health magazine “Bodymatters” (he’s a doctor, remember).


Graeme Garden’s writing credits:


Acknowledgements:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graeme_Garden
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/clue/article/graeme.shtml
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/PersonDetail/personid-88935

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.