GMI Engineering and Management Institute (formerly General Motors Institute), nowadays called Kettering University, is an engineering/applied science/management school located in Flint, MI. Originally founded by Major Sobey, a believer in the strengths of a cooperative education (read co-op/internship education) as the Flint Institute of Technology, General Motors was a believer in the idea and eventually bought the school out.

Until 1982, GMI was a training ground for GM workers who wanted to become engineers. In the late 1950s/early 1960s, GMI sought ABET accreditation and eventually received it. In the auto industry, GMI was referred to as "The Academy" -- the place to go to truly learn the art of automotive engineering. Graduates could look forward to high-level positions with GM or other auto companies.

However, in 1982 General Motors decided it needed to cut costs, and turned the university loose, a shock it is still recovering from. Renamed GMI, it sought corporate sponsors for its co-op students. It branched out, but the automotive focus never truly disappeared.

GMI alumni, sadly, are known for two things -- being the largest percentage of alumni going into the Harvard Business School from any college, as well as being the largest percentage of alcoholic alumni.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.