Some jobs or commissions require that a candidate undergo a Department of Justice (DOJ)/Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) background check before they can be placed in the position. This process is usually a fingerprint check of criminal convictions and previous histories of criminal activities. If you are thinking of becoming an FBI Agent, you will need to undergo a background check.

Also, if you want to own a gun, you may be subject to a NICS check:

The Brady Act, Public Law 103-159, required that a National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) be established by November 30, 1998. In accordance with the Brady Act, the NICS shall allow Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs) to contact the system by telephone or by other electronic means in addition to the telephone, for information, to be supplied immediately, on whether receipt of a firearm by a prospective transferee would violate section 922 (g) or (n) of title 18, United States Code, or State law.

Recently, Senator John McCain ammended the law in an attempt to make sure that all prospective gun owners undergo a NICS check. Currently, background checks are performed on those buying guns from federally licensed dealers. People purchasing from private traders -- such as those at gun shows -- are not screened.

Oregon's Measure 5 and Colorado's Amendment 22 would remove that exception and require people who buy firearms at gun shows to undergo background checks.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.