Democratic Senior Senator for South Carolina. Ernest, or 'Fritz' Hollings served as the governor of South Carolina, elected in 1958. He's been in the Senate a long time (first elected in 1966!), but due to Southern Inertia, he was South Carolina's junior senator for 46 years, until Strom Thurmond retired in 2002.

His most recent folly is his sponsorship of the CBDTPA, a bill aimed at imposing copyright protections on PCs. Another evil brought to you by the Disney Corporation. Hollings also tacked his name to the "Gramm-Rudman-Hollings" Act which was meant to balance the budget in the 1980s. Didn't really work out.

Democratic Senator from South Carolina

Senator Hollings graduated from The Citadel in 1942. He served in World War II as a U.S. Army officer in the North African and European campaigns. He received the Bronze Star and seven other campaign ribbons.

After the war he attended University of South Carolina School of Law graduating in 1947. At age 26, in 1948 he was elected to the South Carolina House of Representatives. In 1955 he became South Carolina’s Lieutenant Governor. In 1958, at age 36 he was elected the youngest governor of South Carolina. Under his leadership as governor, South Carolina became the first Southern state to earn the coveted AAA bond rating

In 1966 he was elected to the U.S. Senate, and has since been re-elected to five more terms. This makes him the fifth most senior member of the Senate and the fourth most senior Democrat.

His Committees:

His website and contact info is at www.senate.gov/~hollings

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.