Rodolfo Guzmán Huerta (1917
) The most famous and beloved luchador
in history, and possibly the most successful athlete
ever. The legendary "Man of the Silver Mask" inspired tons of merchandise, played himself in many movies
, and had his own comic book
series. When he passed away his funeral
was thronged with thousands of fans and fellow wrestlers, and he was buried in his trademark silver mask. His legacy is carried on by his son, El Hijo del Santo
("Son of the Saint").
- Born in Tulancingo, Hidalgo, Mexico.
- His finishing move was "La de a caballo" (arm camel clutch).
- Made his wrestling debut on July 26, 1942, winning an eight-man battle royal in Mexico City.
- Also wrestled as Rudy Guzmán, El Murcielago II ("The Bat II"), and El Hombre Rojo ("The Red Man").
- At various times held the Mexican National Welterweight Title, Mexican National Middleweight Title (4 times), NWA World Welterweight Title (2 times), NWA World Middleweight Title, Mexican National Tag Team Title (2 times, with partner Rayo de Jalisco), and the Mexican National Light Heavyweight Title.