Also known as Albert DeSalvo.

Between June 14, 1962 and January 4, 1964, thirteen single women in the Boston area were victims of either a single serial killer or possibly several killers. Eleven of the murders were attributed to a person known as the Boston Strangler. Even though the police felt that the victims were not the work of a single person, the public did. All of the women were murdered in their apartments, had been sexually molested, and were strangled with articles of clothing. There were no signs of forced entry, leading to the belief that the women knew the assailant(s) or at least voluntarily let him or them into their homes.

Even though nobody has ever "officially" been on trial as the Boston Strangler, the public believed that Albert DeSalvo, who confessed in detail to each of the eleven "offical" Strangler murders, as well as two others, was the murderer. At the time, most people who knew DeSalvo did not believe he was capable of the crimes and the controversy continues to this day.

DeSalvo was serving out a life sentence at Walpole State Prison in Massachusetts when he was stabbed to death in the infirmary in November of 1973. The night before he was stabbed, DeSalvo had asked to speak to prison officials and reporters. Speculation is that he was going to reveal who the real Boston Strangler was. Circumstances surrounding the stabbing are curious at best, doors left open, guards not where they were supposed to be, the timing of the stabbing.

Officials at the prison insist that DeSalvo's death was related to his involvement in a prison drug operation. Three men were tried but twice the trials ended in a hung jury.

Did DeSalvo do it? The question lingers to this day. An insight might be gained into DeSalvo's mind from the following poem he wrote in prison a few years before his death.

Here is the story of the Strangler, yet untold,
The man who claims he murdered thirteen women,
young and old.
The elusive Strangler, there he goes,
Where his wanderlust sends him, no one knows.
He struck within the light of day,
Leaving not one clue astray.
Young and old, their lips are sealed,
Their secret of death never revealed.
Even though he is sick in mind,
He's much to clever for the police to find.
To reveal his secret will bring him fame,
But burden his family with unwanted shame.
Today he sits in a prison cell,
Deep inside only a secret he can tell.
People everywhere are still in doubt,
Is the Strangler in prison or roaming about?

Update July 19, 2013:

Today, it was confirmed that the DNA on a woman who was murdered in 1964 was indeed that of Albert DeSalvo, it looks like the mystery might finally have been solved.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.