The city of Agra is located in the state of Uttar Pradesh, on the west bank of the river Yamuna, in the northern region of India. The current population of Agra is 1,118,800; Hindi and Urdu are the chief languages of the region. Agra is located 204 km south of the union territory of Delhi. Agra was once the seat of the Mughals, Muslim rulers of India, and is best known for the fact that the Taj Mahal is located there.

Agra was founded in the 16th century by Sikandar Lodhi. In the 17th century, the emperor Shahjahan (spelled elsewhere Shah Jahan) built the Taj Mahal in memory of his beloved wife, Mumtaz Mahal. The Taj Mahal—which means Crown Palace—is a mausoleum built entirely of white marble and considered by many to be one of the wonders of the world. Other beautiful works of architecture in the area include the Agra Fort, the tomb of Itmad-ud-Daulah, and Fatehpur Sikri.

Today, modern hotels, shopping malls, and businesses exist side by side with traditional bazaars (specialties include jewelry, rugs, leather products, and marble work) and historic sites. Agra is a popular destination for tourists, and can be reached easily by air, bus, and rail.


My apologies for links which don’t lead anywhere; I’m noding for the ages, under the assumption that people- and place- names may someday be filled in.

Sources: http://www.indianvisit.com/ivnew/states_of_india/uttar_pradesh/agra/ http://www.tajhub.com/taj-mahal/agra/index.html http://islamicity.com/Culture/Taj/default.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.