Rough chop and carmelize red onions sprinkled with salt in butter. Add thinly sliced portobello mushrooms towards the end of the cooking and season the mixture with fresh cracked black pepper, paprika and ancho chile dust. Set aside. Grate a mixture of extra-old white cheddar , fruillano and fontina cheeses. Butter one side of a very thin nine-inch flatbread and place it in a pre-heated frying pan to toast the unbuttered side first and then flip it. Spread the toasted surface with the onion/mushroom mixture and sprinkle with a generous amount of grated cheese. Place a second buttered flatbread on top of the mixture, buttered side up.

Flipping a nine-inch flatbread sandwich filled with onions, mushrooms and melting cheese might seem a bit daunting, but if you place a large plate or a cookie sheet over it, invert the whole thing and slide it back into the pan, it works well (see footnote). Cook and flip until both sides are golden-brown. Slide onto a cutting board and allow to cool somewhat before slicing with a sharp knife.

*Most kitchen wisdom is learned in the heat of the moment so if you find that unnerving, best to stay out of the kitchen. As Piglet once said, “I didn't *mean* to be brave - it just sort of happened when I panicked...”

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.