The largest parachute force in the free world, the 82d Airborne Division is trained to deploy anywhere, at any time, to fight upon arrival and to win. Almost every piece of divisional combat equipment can be dropped by parachute onto the field of battle.

The 82nd Infantry Division was formed August 25, 1917, at Camp Gordon, Georgia. Since members of the Division came from all 48 states, the unit was given the nickname "All-Americans," hence its famed "AA" shoulder patch. The 82nd was demobilized after its service in World War I. With the outbreak of World War II, the 82nd was reactivated in 1942 and redesignated the 82nd Airborne Division. During their service in Sicily and Salerno, Italy, they earned the nickname "Devils in Baggy Pants." (The nickname was taken from an entry made in a German officer's diary.)

On June 5-6, 1944 (D-Day), the paratroopers of the 82nd's three parachute infantry regiments and reinforced glider infantry regiment boarded hundreds of transport planes and gliders and began the largest airborne assault in history (along with the 101st Airborne Division, whose expoits are shown in the Band of Brothers mini-series shown on HBO and BBC). They were among the first soldiers to fight in Normandy, France. After the war, the 82nd made its permanent home at Fort Bragg, North Carolina

The 82nd Airborn Division has been involved in most major military conflicts since WWII, including the conflics in Vietnam, Korea, and Iraq. They have 3 infantry brigades, an aviation brigade, plus attached battalions to take care of administration, military intelligence, engineering, and soldier support.
Sources: http://www.bragg.army.mil/www-82DV/, http://www.fayettevillenc.com/airborne82dassn/, and http://www.grunts.net/army/82abn.html.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.