Good News

There's no high drama nor amazing story nor riveting entertainment in this shaogo daylog so for those of you seeking that, look elsewhere:

Drama: visit a non-Leather bar frequented by male homosexuals. Wait around until someone breaks a finger nail.

Amazing Story: visit a Leather gay bar and listen to a man wearing Biker boots, chaps, studded belt and perhaps matching wristlets, leather vest and leather visor-equipped cap tell you (or someone else for that matter)  about the time he had sex with a celebrity.

Riveting Entertainment: don't visit a gay bar. Read the catbox.


THIS WRITEUP CONTAINS NOTHING, NOT A WHIT, NOT A CHIRP, ABOUT POLITICS. (BUT IT DOES BRIEFLY DISCUSS DRUGS).


I've stopped counting the days since I started on my new medicine. It's really a "wonder drug," just as my doctor had told me. I will inform him Monday that I regret that I doubted him. I thought, in the back of my mind, that he'd told me it would work "magic" for mere placebo effect value. Who knows? Maybe that's what either the good doctor or God knew I needed to hear. Who knows, the both may be colluding to make me a better, healthier person. (If you doubt this, I beseech you to meet with my doctor for ten minutes and then you'll take back the "pshaw!" you just uttered. My psychiatrist ought to be a candidate for sainthood, particularly for attempting to address the mess that is better known as what's left of my brain function). But the good news is that I feel very good, in a holistic sense. Much more so than I have in a long, long time.

If what I feel is what it's like to be normal, hell, I'm glad. If it's a wee bit of drug-induced manic behavior (energy the likes of which I don't recall having for years) then that's great. If it's exhilaration at being free from the long, "natural bad trip" I've been on, hell, it'll wear off but I'm sure I'll be fine anyhow.
 

Buying Professional Audio Equipment is a Bigger Hassle Than Buying a New Car

A while ago, our partner and I taught my wife what a purchase order is and how it is part of an effective system of financial control. Whatever possessed me to add to our financial system one more thing I dreaded about working for a corporation, I can't tell you. It must have been the work of Satan. I'd become possessed by demons for a moment.

The good news is that I received, yesterday, a purchase order nearing five figures for an upgrade of sound and lighting equipment for my division of our company; I'm the one who books talent and then produces concerts. Our musical shows had recently become quite a lot like early television programming with nothing missing but the visual of a test pattern. Pops, the nails-on-blackboard sound of audio feedback, muddy, uninteresting sound; we had it all. What once was quite nice to listen to and easy to adjust had become as intolerable to the trained ear as the equipment owned by even the worst of my competitors. Without getting into the technology of what was wrong with our system, suffice it to say that it was as dependable as a car that's got over two hundred thousand miles on it. And not a very good car, either.

It took quite a while to shop around and come up with estimated costs for equipment. Sony's professional audio equipment is to performance audio what a Rolls-Royce is to cars. I'd have needed five times what I'm going to spend to get a Sony system that does the same thing. The Ferraris and Maseratis of audio equipment are for home audiophiles; not the rigors of production. So suffice it to say that in my business there's nothing better than a Rolls-Royce, technically speaking.

I made up my mind to specify Yamaha equipment wherever possible. They're the sound equipment equivalent of, let's say, a Lexus. There are other, lesser brands which have a lot of cred but are closer in quality and performance to an Acura.

Pre-purchase order research of internet-based vendors revealed all kinds of deals, much lower than MSRP. Then, armed with model numbers and pricing I ran off this morning to visit the brand-new store of my old friend. He's been prospering. I found out why. He beat the price on some of the stuff I'd specified, and even better, pointed me toward ways to accomplish what I needed to do in ways that were more economical than what I'd planned.

I drove off with a half a mini-van full of boxes. The contents of the boxes cost a third of my budget. Only thirty per cent. Words cannot describe the glee this gave my wife and our partner. And to myself, of course, because this means I can buy far more...
 

Toys

I've re-worked the plan for the system, including the diagrams, charts and other graphic renderings of specifications that I am so extremely fond of creating. After I'd driven back with the boxes full of stuff, I returned to my friend's audio store and hung out, drinking coffee, smoking a cigarette or two, and trying out more fun stuff. It's kinda like the audio nerd's equivalent of a car buff's being able to test drive anything in the lot, whether he or she is there to make a purchase or not.

Now, I'm not stupid. Mentally ill, yes. But not stupid. Because the purchase order was approved so quickly and without the usual whimpering, I decided I'd encumber it all, and then some, and really turn our showplace into, well, a showplace.

It's now nearly two o'clock in the morning and I'm filled with that "day after Christmas" syndrome that children get. You know, "I've put up with all the festivities and the socializing (in my case, within this model, a busy Saturday night at the restaurant) and now I want to play!" Suffice it to say I'm gonna be having some fun prior to tomorrow's six o'clock show.
 

I only wish that those of you with as much enthusiasm about such things could share what I'm gonna be doing tomorrow. There will be photos, definitely; and also video if I can get a helper to run the camera. Heck, I need to have this for my portfolio of installations, because until now I was like the cobbler whose children had holes in their shoes.

Tomorrow my children will be wearing Gucci loafers.