"You dont actually belong here you know", he said turning away from the monitor to face me.

"What ?", I was surprised that he even had the time to look away from the game he had been so deeply engrossed in for the past hour, deeply enough to not notice me enter and slip into the chair behind him. Turns out I was wrong... again.

Nothing new here.

"Umm, dont you have a game on ?", I questioned trying to focus on the bright screen behind him, yearning for a glance. If only to affirm that all parts of me were there, physical and mental, and had been so since I entered the room. He was over but the round quite was'nt. All I got back in way of a reply was a long sigh and a dogged stare at a spot somewhere above my right shoulder. I knew better than to follow his gaze, because if I did the stare would be on me.

Its not like I didnt try looking. Vacant spots, abandoned corners, starry roofs had become my domain during this so-called quest. If only they existed outside my dreams. Woven in the fabric of reality I would atleast be able to convince myself and hopefully even others that something better lay out there and that I was looking for it. But then again, WHO am I kidding ?

Why was it taking so long ? Why wouldnt the damn-thing restart so that his attention would be diverted away and I could slip away unnoticed once again. Well, atleast a part of me. Rumour has it that somewhere in these dark, murky lanes I would be able to find fragments of me and be able to get back to where I was. Not that I remember what it was like back then, but it has to got to be better than this, heck, anything has got to be better than this. Those are paths you shouldnt traverse along. Lines from some cheap flick spring instantly to mind, but I smile them away not wanting to spoil your moment of psychological eloquence even one so brief and gimmicky.

Rumours - by me, for me, of me.

"Whatever", he mutters glancing back at the screen just as the timer runs down, time for another round. I hear voices in the distance as I slip back into my reverie.

Can it really end so abruptly ? Or worse, should it ?