My guitar has been gently weeping all day.

The day started out all right, except that I was ridiculously tired, and didn't much want to get up. I wish I had stayed in bed. I got out of the shower and started to get ready, when my mother came up to me to say goodbye for the day.

And then, she said, "George Harrison died."

"Really?" I said.
"Yeah."

Don Maclean has said that when he heard that The Big Bopper, Ritchie Valens, and Buddy Holly had died in a plane crash, it felt like someone had "punched me in the mouth."

I felt the same way, except add in a punch in the stomach and a swift kick to the groin.

It's all too much, for me to take.

But, as I always do when someone dies, I just stopped thinking about it, and went to eat my breakfast. All things must pass away. It didn't really set in until I came back into my room, and turned on the TV to see how warm it would be. I had totally forgotten, and turning on the TV just at the end of the newscast made it so that the first thing that I saw was a picture of him, and

George Harrison
1943-2001


The Today Show opened up with While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I watched the first few minutes, seeing the retrospective of his life. I had to leave, however, and so I went to my car. I decided to play only songs by George on my way to school. I started with Within You Without You, and I almost started to cry. I don't mean bawling, I mean the kind of tears like at a sad movie, when you feel them welling up in your eyes. I played Don't Bother Me.

Don't come around, leave me alone
Don't Bother Me


I listened to While My Guitar Gently Weeps, which seems all the better now. Then, I listened to probably his two biggest hits (with the Beatles), Here Comes The Sun and Something. By the time that Something was over, I had already parked, and I was just sitting in the parking lot. Then, I turned up my stereo pretty loud, and blasted the opening chord of It's All Too Much. I listened to the whole song, then got up and went inside. Apparently, you could hear the song across the parking lot. Lucky for anyone in the parking lot.

George Harrison really was one of the greatest musicians of all time. He wrote incredible songs, and played the guitar incredibly. Just listen to the solos on the album version of Let it Be. Or his little fills on Come Together. Or listen to You Never Give Me Your Money. Even in the early years (Don't Bother Me, for example), he played great solos. I think that Abbey Road does the best job of showcasing his talent as a guitarist, but any album will do.

Sunrise doesn't last all morning...
Sunset doesn't last all evening...
No it's not always going to be this grey
All things must pass
All things must pass away


He really was great.


I don't daylog... except, it seems, when something bad happens.