The little light on your ethernet equipment (NIC's, hubs, switches, etc.) to indicate that everything's connected correctly, at least on the hardware level. Probably takes its name from the data link layer in the OSI reference model.

Link is a traditional name in Hyrule which has endured the test of time. It is a name which conveys strength, wisdom, and courage, and it is possibly no coincidence that many who have averted major disaster in Hyrule have shared a lineage - and the name Link.

Link, Hero of Time

Zelda 5 (Ocarina of Time)
Zelda 6 (Majora's Mask)

This particular Link was adopted by the Kokiri when his dying mother sought the refuge of the Great Deku Tree after being marauded by the minions of Ganondorf. He was chastised as a youth by the Kokiri (who thought he was one of their own), for he was different from them in not having a guardian fairy. But when cursed by Ganondorf, the Great Deku Tree assigned Navi to be Link's guardian; after the Tree's death, Navi and Link became close companions.

Ganondorf tricked Zelda (the Hylian princess) and Link into opening up the Sacred Realm, during the process of which, Link's mind was frozen in stasis while seven years passed. During these seven years, Ganondorf used his strength and magic to completely destroy the kingdom of Hylia and wreak havoc over all of Hyrule. After Link awoke, however, he soon acquired the ability to travel between the two disparate realities - his childhood and adulthood - in order to smite Ganondorf.

And in doing so, created Ganon.

Although Link, Zelda, and the six sages combined could not destroy Ganon, as he held the triforce of power, they were able to seal him within the sacred realm. And Link, Hero of Time, returned to his childhood to live it out in full.

There is another legend of this Link in which he saves a world which is fated to be crushed under its own moon, but the history is incomplete on this account. (i.e. I haven't beat Zelda 6 yet. :)

Link, Guardian of Hyrule

Zelda 3 (A Link to the Past)
Zelda 4 (Link's Awakening)

Several thousand years after the fall of Hylia, a distant descendant of the Hero of Time met with his own piece of destiny. Although he was raised as an ordinary peasant living on the outskirts of Kakariko, one night he heard a distressful message in his mind; the princess Zelda had been imprisoned by Aghamim, the wizard aide to her father the King, and was to be sacrificed, as were supposed descendents of the sages (although they were, strangely enough, all of Hylian blood, and not the motley crew of varying races which the original sages were; perhaps when their respective races died off, only the original Zelda - who was, in fact, the seventh sage - managed to procreate, in such a way that there were presently seven female descendents or something; this is one of the few places where the histories are in conflict).

This Link would eventually recover the Triforce of Power from Ganon, save Hyrule, go off on a voyage, get shipwrecked, save Koholint (the land of dreams), return to Hyrule, marry the princess, and have children, who would in turn have children, one of whom would have a child, named after his great grandfather...

Link, Defeater of Ganon

Zelda 1 (The Legend of Zelda)
Zelda 2 (The Adventure of Link)

It is unknown how Ganon managed to recover the Triforce of Power, but he did. Using its energy, he returned to Hyrule and destroyed most of its civilization (including, sadly, Kakariko). After many years of his tyrranical destruction, his thirst for power reintensified - the triforce of power was no longer enough. In his utter rage, he kidnapped the princess Zelda, who was in possession of the Triforces of Wisdom and Courage. In order to save what remained of Hyrule, she split the Triforce of Courage into eight pieces, to be sought out by this Link so he could gain the courage to defeat Ganon once and for all.

Which he did, and life was good.

And Hyrule could then begin to rebuild. But all was not right.

Upon Ganon's death, his minions immediately became enraged with a bloodlust for Link, as they knew that by killing him and spreading his blood on the ashes of Ganon, their strong leader would be resurrected. But this wasn't all - an evil presence mysteriously appeared on this Link's birthday, putting Zelda into a deep sleep and causing much chaos across the land. And so Link sought out to destroy this evil, which turned out to be his own shadow, having been turned evil by the sheer power of the Triforce. But this shadow was defeated, Zelda was awoken...

...and they lived happily ever after.

There are several types of links in UNIX and other common operating systems.

  • Hard Link
    A hard link is a directory entry that provides an alias to another file in the same filesystem. Multiple linked entries appear in a directory for one physical file without replication of the data contents of that file.

  • Soft, or Symbolic Links
    A directory entry that provides an alias to another file usually located in a different filesystem. Multiple entries appear in a directory for one physical file without replication of the data contents of that file. This is implemented using File Links.

  • File Link
    A file link is a file which contains the fully qualified filename of the original linked-to file. The file link allows a symbolic link to be created on one filesystem to link to a physical file on a different filesystem.
  • To link, in the context of computer programming, is to (directly or indirectly) use a linker to combine object files and libraries (both containing object code) into an executable.

    Unless the compiler is told otherwise, it typically will feed a temporary copy of the object file corresponding to your source code along with the default set of libraries to the linker to automatically produce an executable.

    Failures during linking usually are due to unresolved symbols which were referenced in the body of the object code, but not actually defined. Fixing a link error usually involves writing the missing code corresponding to the symbol, adding missing libraries, or fixing spelling errors in the source code. It is also possible to have duplicate symbol errors, but in many cases, the linker can fix this by omitting a redundant object file.

    Link (li&nsm;k), n. [Prob. corrupted from lint and this for lunt a torch, match, D. lont match; akin to G. lunte, cf. MHG. lünden to burn. Cf. Lunt, Linstock.]

    A torch made of tow and pitch, or the like. Shak.

     

    © Webster 1913


    Link, n. [OE. linke, AS. hlence; akin to Sw. länk ring of a chain, Dan. lænke chain, Icel. hlekkr; cf. G. gelenk joint, link, ring of a chain, lenken to bend.]

    1.

    A single ring or division of a chain.

    2.

    Hence: Anything, whether material or not, which binds together, or connects, separate things; a part of a connected series; a tie; a bond. "Links of iron." Shak.

    The link of brotherhood, by which
    One common Maker bound me to the kind.
    Cowper.

    And so by double links enchained themselves in lover's life.
    Gascoigne.

    3.

    Anything doubled and closed like a link; as, a link of horsehair. Mortimer.

    4. (Kinematics)

    Any one of the several elementary pieces of a mechanism, as the fixed frame, or a rod, wheel, mass of confined liquid, etc., by which relative motion of other parts is produced and constrained.

    5. (Mach.)

    Any intermediate rod or piece for transmitting force or motion, especially a short connecting rod with a bearing at each end; specifically (Steam Engine), the slotted bar, or connecting piece, to the opposite ends of which the eccentric rods are jointed, and by means of which the movement of the valve is varied, in a link motion.

    6. (Surveying)

    The length of one joint of Gunter's chain, being the hundredth part of it, or 7.92 inches, the chain being 66 feet in length. Cf. Chain, n., 4.

    7. (Chem.)

    A bond of affinity, or a unit of valence between atoms; -- applied to a unit of chemical force or attraction.

    8. pl.

    Sausages; -- because linked together. [Colloq.]

     

    © Webster 1913


    Link (li&nsm;k), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Linked (li&nsm;kt); p. pr. & vb. n. Linking.]

    To connect or unite with a link or as with a link; to join; to attach; to unite; to couple.

    All the tribes and nations that composed it [the Roman Empire] were linked together, not only by the same laws and the same government, but by all the facilities of commodious intercourse, and of frequent communication.
    Eustace.

     

    © Webster 1913


    Link, v. i.

    To be connected.

    No one generation could link with the other.
    Burke.

     

    © Webster 1913


    Link (?), n. [See Linch.]

    1.

    A hill or ridge, as a sand hill, or a wooded or turfy bank between cultivated fields, etc. [Scot. & Prov. Eng.]

    2.

    A winding of a river; also, the ground along such a winding; a meander; -- usually in pl. [Scot.]

    The windings or "links" of the Forth above and below Stirling are extremely tortuous.
    Encyc. Brit.

    3. pl.

    Sand hills with the surrounding level or undulating land, such as occur along the seashore, a river bank, etc. [Scot.]

    Golf may be played on any park or common, but its original home is the "links" or common land which is found by the seashore, where the short close tuft, the sandy subsoil, and the many natural obstacles in the shape of bents, whins, sand holes, and banks, supply the conditions which are easential to the proper pursuit of the game.
    Encyc. of Sport.

    4. pl.

    Hence, any such piece of ground where golf is played.

     

    © Webster 1913

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.