Cocoon is a 100% pure Java publishing framework that relies on new W3C technologies (such as DOM, XML, and XSL) to provide web content.

The Cocoon project aims to change the way web information is created, rendered and served. This new paradigm is based on fact that document content, style and logic are often created by different individuals or working groups. Cocoon aims to a complete separation of the three layers, allowing the three layers to be independently designed, created and managed, reducing management overhead, increasing work reuse and reducing time to market.

blatantly stolen from the Cocoon web page www.cocoon.org

Björk's music video to this song is quite... different to say the least. In most of her videos, Björk is shown singing and dancing or something of the like, usually alone. Her videos tend to be very minimalistic and recently have become very "artsy". Cocoon starts out with a line of nude Björks all standing in different positions all wearing the same white makeup all over their bodies and the same strange black hairdo done up in some kinda bun thing. After a few seconds, one of the Björks walks out of the line across the screen and is standing nude towards the camera, alone. Björk then starts singing wildly and dancing while red licorice strings start coming out of her nipples. Yes, your favorite childhood candy is coming out of Björk's nipples. While they continue to float out of her nipples, Björk dances with them using her fingers propelling the licorice like streamers. Near the end of the song, the tasty licorice starts to wrap around Björk, starting at her feet, forming a cocoon. The cocoon then accends up out of the screen. Oh, and the video's director, Eiko Ishioka, was the costume designer for the freaky movie The Cell.


Before my mother left, one night at the church playground, she showed us a cocoon hanging in the walnut tree. The walnuts were still in their green husks. They smelled sour.

“See? Look but don’t touch.”

The cocoon was shaking. The topmost rim started to retract. The white fuzz crept open, revealing the edge of the black insect inside. At the school playground, Maria Berry had picked up a black and orange furry caterpillar, letting it crawl the length of the back of her hand. A caterpillar turned into a cocoon turned into a moth.

“Ew! It looks like it’s pooping!” Eddie, the pastor’s grandson, had no interest in moths.

She laughed. “It’s not pooping. That’s the butterfly coming out.”

“It looks gross.” Behind us, the sun was going down. It shone orange on the leaves. I stood on one leg, until I got wobbly, then switched and stood on the other.

My mother put her hands on my shoulders. “Stop fidgeting.” I kicked a rut in the dust.

The moth’s antennae crept out, then one leg and another.

“Oh, it’s stuck!” This was taking forever. I started for the silky casing.

“No!” She swatted me. “Hands off! If you touch it, it will die.”

Eddie reached for the cocoon. “Cool!”

“No, it is not cool. You will obey me! Nobody touches the butterfly!” She quieted her voice and crouched down. “God has a plan for everything and everyone. He has a plan for all of His creatures. It takes time for a caterpillar to spin a cocoon, and it takes time for the butterfly to emerge.”

The swings were just on the other side of the tree. I looked with longing past the moth. It was almost night time and summer was almost over. I promised myself I would pay attention the next time it happened.

I never seen a moth hatch from its cocoon.

from The Book of Revelation

previous chapter - next chapter

Co*coon" (?), n. [F. cocon, dim. of coque shell of egge and insects, fr. L. concha mussel shell. See Conch.]

1.

An oblong case in which the silkworn lies in its chrysalis state. It is formed of threads of silk spun by the worm just before leaving the larval state. From these the silk of commerce is prepared.

2. Zool. (a)

The case constructed by any insect to contain its larva or pupa.

(b)

The case of silk made by spiders to protect their eggs.

(c)

The egg cases of mucus, etc., made by leeches and other worms.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.