The very matter that makes up everything. Content may be words on a page, pictures laid before you, or it could be pulsing, lurid, sexual content!

It is a word often used in conjunction with another, which describes what sort of content it is:

sexual content (as mentioned above)
lyrical content
verbal content

If you say it enough times in a row, it sounds really odd, and harsh, and sort of, well, stupid. Have you ever noticed how odd a word sounds if you say it enough times in a row? Try it, really, it's true.

This word is used by teachers quite often, and is usually the thing for which you receive most of your grade on an assignment.

Based on some random lecture notes of the content creation course:

Usually, when speaking of information (and especially digital information) these days, the "content" means

Sometimes content is highly interactive, the viewer can "touch" the content to make it react; Sometimes it's very passive and the user can't really "try" it or make choices. Sometimes content is dynamic - the user participates in creation; Sometimes the content is static, everything has been thought of in advance.

(Truly, that is the Multimedia Content.)

Usually, the content is divided to three major layers:

  1. Fictional - The "feeling" layer of information; The "image" of the content first seen by the viewer, made to give the first impression. Look at how the first page was made. See what kind of picture of the makers the content triest to give.
  2. Factual - The information on general level, explained for the viewer.
  3. Details - The "raw information"; unfashioned, crude, "list-like", in case "already chewed" information isn't enough for the viewer.

Con*tent (?), a. [F. content, fr. L. contentus, p.p. of contenire to hold together, restrain. See Contain.]

Contained within limits; hence, having the desires limited by that which one has; not disposed to repine or grumble; satisfied; contented; at rest.

Having food rainment, let us be therewith content. 1 Tim. vi. 8.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con"tent ; usually in pl., Contents.

1.

That which is contained; the thing or things held by a receptacle or included within specified limits; as, the contents of a cask or bale or of a room; the contents of a book.

I shall prove these writings . . . authentic, and the contents true, and worthy of a divine original. Grew.

2.

Power of containing; capacity; extent; size.

[Obs.]

Strong ship's, of great content. Bacon.

3. Geom.

Area or quantity of space or matter contained within certain limits; as, solid contents; superficial contents.

The geometrical content, figure, and situation of all the lands of a kingdom. Graunt.

Table of contents, ∨ Contents, a table or list of topics in a book, showing their order and the place where they may be found: a summary.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con*tent" (?), v. t. [F. contenter, LL. contentare, fr. L. contentus, p.p. See Content, a.]

1.

To satisfy the desires of; to make easy in any situation; to appease or quiet; to gratify; to please.

Do not content yourselves with obscure and confused ideas, where clearer are to be attained. I. Watts.

Pilate, willing to content the people, released Barabbas unto them. Mark xv. 15.

2.

To satisfy the expectations of; to pay; to requite.

Come the next Sabbath, and I will content you. Shak.

Syn. -- To satisfy; appease; plese. See Satiate.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con*tent", n.

1.

Rest or quietness of the mind in one's present condition; freedom from discontent; satisfaction; contentment; moderate happiness.

Such is the fullness of my heart's content. Shak.

2.

Acquiescence without examination.

[Obs.]

The sense they humbly take upon content. Pope.

3.

That which contents or satisfies; that which if attained would make one happy.

So will I in England work your grace's full content. Shak.

4. Eng. House of Lords

An expression of assent to a bill or motion; an affirmate vote; also, a member who votes "Content.".

Supposing the number of "Contents" and "Not contents" strictly equal in number and consequence.Burke.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.