Cir"cu*lar (?), a. [L. circularis, fr. circulus circle: cf. F. circulaire. See Circle.]

1.

In the form of, or bounded by, a circle; round.

2.

repeating itself; ending in itself; reverting to the point of beginning; hence, illogical; inconclusive; as, circular reasoning.

3.

Adhering to a fixed circle of legends; cyclic; hence, mean; inferior. See Cyclic poets, under Cyclic.

Had Virgil been a circular poet, and closely adhered to history, how could the Romans have had Dido? Dennis.

4.

Addressed to a circle, or to a number of persons having a common interest; circulated, or intended for circulation; as, a circular letter.

A proclamation of Henry III., . . . doubtless circular throughout England. Hallam.

5.

Perfect; complete.

[Obs.]

A man so absolute and circular In all those wished-for rarities that may take A virgin captive. Massinger.

Circular are, any portion of the circumference of a circle. -- Circular cubics Math., curves of the third order which are imagined to pass through the two circular points at infinity. -- Circular functions. Math. See under Function. -- Circular instruments, mathematical instruments employed for measuring angles, in which the graduation extends round the whole circumference of a circle, or 360°. -- Circular lines, straight lines pertaining to the circle, as sines, tangents, secants, etc. -- Circular note or letter. (a) Com. See under Credit. (b) Diplomacy A letter addressed in identical terms to a number of persons. -- Circular numbers Arith., those whose powers terminate in the same digits as the roots themselves; as 5 and 6, whose squares are 25 and 36. Bailey. Barlow. -- Circular points at infinity Geom., two imaginary points at infinite distance through which every circle in the plane is, in the theory of curves, imagined to pass. -- Circular polarization. Min. See under Polarization. -- Circular or Globular sailing Naut., the method of sailing by the arc of a great circle. -- Circular saw. See under Saw.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cir"cu*lar, n. [Cf. (for sense 1) F. circulaire, lettre circulaire. See Circular, a.]

1.

A circular letter, or paper, usually printed, copies of which are addressed or given to various persons; as, a business circular.

2.

A sleeveless cloak, cut in circular form.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.