Apple cider vinegar, as the name suggests is vinegar made from the fermentation of fall or winter apples (see making below). Aside from use in cooking apple cider vinegar is renowned for its medicinal properties.

Apple cider vinegar is said to have been used by Hippocrates. A mixture containing apple cider vinegar was used by a group of thieves during the Middle Ages to protect themselves from their victims who had the black plague. This mixture was later known as Four Thieves Vinegar.

Making Apple Cider Vinegar:

Apple cider vinegar is quite easy to make, it requires simply:

Step one

Make apple cider

Simply press the apples into a pulp and strain off the juice with a press or cheese cloth.

Step two

optional add starter

Crumble yeast into one quart of apple cider. This is enough starter for five gallons of apple cider vinegar.

Step three

Allow time for alcohol to form.

This step is mostly just waiting. Pour the liquid into containers to about 3 quarts capacity. Cover with cheese cloth to keep out bugs and dust. Store the containers out of direct sunlight between 60 - 80 degrees F.

After about 4 weeks begin tasting the vinegar. When it has reached your desireed strength begin the next step.

Step four

filtering

Pour the vinegar out through four or five layers of cheese cloth to remove all the residue and stop the fermentation. Store the vinegar in sterilized glass containers.


Uses of Apple Cider Vinegar

One very common use (and one I use myself) is as a tonic. Mix two tablespoons of vinegar with one tablespoon of honey.

Benefits:

To help lower a fever soak a cloth in equal parts cold water and vinegar, then wring it out and place on the feverish forehead.

Veterinarians have used apple cider vinegar with horses to prevent stones.

Apple cider vinegar can be used on cuts, bites, dry itchy skin, burns, calluses, and to soften skin.

As a hair rinse vinegar diluted in water helps remove build up from hair products and gives hair a nice shine


If you know of any other uses for apple cider vinegar please /msg me

References:

  • http://www.allsands.com/Health/Alternative/useforapple_wsm_gn.htm
  • http://www.allsands.com/Health/usesforapplec_buz_gn.htm
  • http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5346.html
  • http://www.beal-net.com/laluna/vinegar.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.