Seven Steps to Sensational Smooching

With today's high standards in the dating world, a girl needs to know how to be a sensational smoocher. That's why GlitterNet's experts have compiled these seven suggestions that will make your boy drop and their boys drool.

· Pick the Right Time
Whether it's just a peck on the cheek or a colossal kiss, timing is everything. If possible, plan ahead. Make sure it's quiet and you're both comfortable. Kissing after you had tuna salad for lunch can be a disaster. It might be a good idea to keep some mints, gum or at least a tasty drink handy.

· Pick the Right Place
Where you kiss can be just as important as how you kiss. Make sure you have some privacy. You don't want someone walking in on you and surprising you during an intimate moment. You also don't want to gross out everyone standing near you in the movie ticket line. Make sure he's ready for the kiss. You don't want to surprise him with it and have him jump three feet away from you.

· Pick the Right Mood
A kiss must be romantic. There is no such thing as a meaningless kiss. Don't try to kiss during the bloodiest part of the movie or when he just found out he's failing History or while passing each other in the hall rushing to your next class. Be patient and wait for the right moment, like when you're walking together down the street and just by chance, your eyes meet - let him have it.

· Prepare Your Lips
Nobody likes fish lips or sandpaper lips. You must find something in between. Don't wear lipstick that tastes bad or that will rub off on him. Wear a little lip gloss, but not too much or you might slip and get his nose! Your lips need to be soft and smooth, but not soaked. Make sure that when you do kiss, your lips are relaxed, you don't want him to feel your teeth.

· Come Up for Air
While you're concentrating on kissing, don't forget about breathing! You don't want to pull away from him, gasping for air. Take your lips away slowly to give the both of you a chance to catch your breath and then dive back in.

· Eye Contact
Eye contact is of utmost importance to heighten and personalize the kissing experience. Look into his eyes whenever you can. The most important time for your eyes to meet is before the kiss. Let your eyes talk to each other and then move in. Look into his eyes every time you take a breather and also when you've finished. Don't keep your eyes open while kissing, though. That's just scary.

· All About Tongue
When deciding whether or not to use your tongue while kissing, there are many things to consider. First, how long have you known him? You should know your boy fairly well and for some time before you even think about introducing any tongue into your kisses. Second, how many times have you kissed? Unless you really trust and know the person, anything much more than a little smooch should be out of the question. You should also get a feel for how he kisses before going further. Third, are you comfortable? You should only use your tongue if you are completely comfortable with him. If you are even a little bit nervous about it, that could be a sign that you're not ready. If he tries to use his tongue first, and you don't feel ready, you must let him know right away. Don't be embarrassed to tell him, don't be afraid he won't like you and NEVER let him push you. If you're not ready and he doesn't like it, that's his problem. Stand your ground!

The biggest tips that we can give you are to go at your own pace, don't just kiss with your mouth kiss with your mind, and above everything else, don't forget to enjoy yourself!

I'm sorry, but I just must say... KISSING IS SUPPOSED TO BE AN INSTINCT! I made out with this one guy once who's old girlfriend (he was straight at that time) told him that he was a bad kisser, so he looked at one of these advice things...

Kissing isn't something that you should read about, or think about. You shouldn't have a checklist where you say, "Have I looked into his eyes? Check. Am I breathing regularly? Check." Let the kiss speak for itself. Don't think. It should be purely an emotional experience.

And, as a guy, I just want to say that a close-mouthed kiss to me seems like a girl or guy isn't interested in me. Personally, I feel that close-mouthed kisses should be saved for someone like... I dunno... A family member or a friend. If you're dating someone, you should have an open-mouthed kiss. It doesn't mean a commitment or anything. Girls just have a habit of making some kind of big deal out of something that really isn't.

By and large, I agree with Randofu. You overthink these things, they go bad in a hurry. However, I've got some minor points to add to the first writeup..

as to the preparation: The word you're looking for is water. Water, as well as being refeshing and a boon to one's health, makes for far more pleasant kissing. Dehydration of the mouth can result in a particular sort of nastiness marked by the congealing of saliva. Drinking water will make your mouth feel friendlier. Odors (an unfortunate side-effect of the necessary act of eating) will dissipate more quickly, little particles will be washed away, and the no-rock'n'roll-fun sticky spittle will cease to be a concern.

Stay away, on the other hand, from the sweet stuff. Sweet stuff = sticky mouth, and I feel we've covered the merits of that oral disposition pretty thouroughly at this point. Worried about your breath after a meal? Eat some bread. Bread likes to absorb things. A nice, respectable bread you have to tear at will also help get things out from between your teeth.

The bottom line, though, is that you have to determine how much you really want to be kissing whomever you intend to kiss. If it's someone you like a lot, hopefully they like you, too, and will be too caught up in the actual kissing to be overly concerned with the smell or taste of your mouth and all other matters involving this earthly plane. On the other hand, if it's someone you're just making out with for the hell of it, who gives a damn how your breath smells? Have you ever seen "For make-out sessions flavoured with a vaugely detectable aroma of macaroni & cheese, call xxx-xxxx" scrawled on a bathroom wall? No, me neither.

as to the setting: If you've ended up kissing someone, it's a moderately safe bet that your setting is just fine. If you're trying to seduce someone, it might be worth your time to worry about mood lighting and whatnot, but the biggest variable determining whether you'll be getting smooched or not is your own charm and the quality and tenor of the conversation.

Not a lot can stop a good kiss. You forgot to lock the door and your roommate walks in mid-tonsil inspection? Provided you're not doing that silly thing where you pretend you didn't know you were kissing each other, laugh it off and resume. As an added bonus, you now get to go through the whole sexy eye-contact-placing-hands-bumping-noses thing again.

as to the breathing: Breathe through your nose, sillypants. If you think this might end up being a problem, blow your nose soundly at some point earlier in the evening.

as to the actual kissing: Relax. Don't rush it, don't try and second guess the other person or act coy. Don't do anything you're uncomfortable with. Do whatever you feel the inclination to, but being ready to respect the other person's wishes, should they ask you to stop. The nice thing about sexual matters is that your body knows what to do in these situations. It doesn't need the assistance of your mind, though it's certainly nicer when the kissing isn't completely mechanical. Things will sort themselves out. Have faith.

..and good luck!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.