Qui"et (?), a. [Compar. Quieter (?); superl. Quietest.] [L. quietus, p. p. pf quiescere to rest, keep quiet; akin to quies rest, and prob. to E. while, n. See While, and cf. Coy, a., Quiesce, Quietus, Quit, a., Quite, Requiem.]

1.

In a state of rest or calm; without stir, motion, or agitation; still; as, a quiet sea; quiet air.

They . . . were quiet all the night, saying, In the morning, when it is day, we shall kill him. Judg. xvi. 2.

2.

Free from noise or disturbance; hushed; still.

3.

Not excited or anxious; calm; peaceful; placid; settled; as, a quiet life; a quiet conscience.

" So quiet and so sweet a style."

Shak.

That son, who on the quiet state of man Such trouble brought. Milton.

4.

Not giving offense; not exciting disorder or trouble; not turbulent; gentle; mild; meek; contented.

The ornament of a meek and quiet spirit. 1 Pet. iii. 4.

I will sit as quiet as a lamb. Shak.

5.

Not showy; not such as to attract attention; undemonstrative; as, a quiet dress; quiet colors; a quiet movement.

Syn. -- Still; tranquil; calm; unruffled; smooth; unmolested; undisturbed; placid; peaceful; mild; peaceable; meek; contented.

 

© Webster 1913.


Qui"et (?) n. [L. quies, -etis. See Quiet, a.]

1.

The quality or state of being quiet, or in repose; as an hour or a time of quiet.

2.

Freedom from disturbance, noise, or alarm; stillness; tranquillity; peace; security.

And join with thee, calm Peace and Quiet. Milton.

At quiet, still; peaceful. -- In quiet, quietly. " I will depart in quiet." Shak. -- Out of quiet, disturbed; restless. [Obs.] "She is much out of quiet."

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Qui"et, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Quieted; p. pr. & vb. n. Quieting.]

1.

To stop motion in; to still; to reduce to a state of rest, or of silence.

2.

To calm; to appease; to pacify; to lull; to allay; to tranquillize; as, to quiet the passions; to quiet clamors or disorders; to quiet pain or grief.

Quiet yourselves, I pray, and be at peace. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Qui"et, v. i.

To become still, silent, or calm; -- often with down; as, be soon quieted down.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.