I'm saucy. I like swimming. I am 34 years old in the pants. I can't have much hair anymore. I like spicy foods. I have lived all over the place. But mostly in Atlanta where I was born. I like baseball and college basketball and that's it when it comes to sports.

If you see me near where you are, stop and say "hi". Do not move again until I am safely past. Then you may continue on your way. Do NOT turn around and look at me from behind. No.

I like to write, hunt, act, fish, and stand-up and say a comedy act. If it's fun you're after, then I am your man. If you're looking for more of a jock/scientist type-of-guy, then sorry. I am troubled by religion's pervasiveness in this world. I am even more troubled by Scientology. I just don't get it! Who could believe such nonsense?

- David Cross

Comedian David Cross was born in Atlanta, Georgia, on April 4, 1964. He first got involved in comedy during his short stay at Emerson College in Boston (according to the old "Mr. Show" website, he "went to college for a few minutes"), where he founded a troupe called Cross Comedy. Shortly thereafter, he headed out to the West Coast to seek fame, fortune, and an excuse to wear wigs.

In the early '90s, David worked as a writer for the Emmy-winning and ultimately doomed "Ben Stiller Show." While working on the show, he met his future comedy partner Bob Odenkirk, and when "The Ben Stiller Show" inevitably went under, they began performing together. Eventually HBO recognized their brilliance and offered them a show (though they still had to dig into their own impoverished-comedian coffers for much of the funding).

"Mr. Show with Bob and David" ran from 1995 to 1998, and was nominated for several Emmys and a Cable Ace Award. It quickly became an underground hit, but its following didn’t really start snowballing until the very end. For much of its run, "Mr. Show" had a small group of rabid fans, but wasn’t even big enough to reach most of the people it wanted to offend. By the time Bob and David did their Hooray for America tour in 2002, though, they were selling out the majority of their shows, apparently having nearly as many fans per city as they’d had in the entire country seven years before.

Even during Mr. Show’s heyday, David was no slacker in terms of comedy. He has had guest spots on "The Drew Carey Show," "Just Shoot Me," "Newsradio," and "Strangers with Candy." He and Bob have been on "Space Ghost Coast to Coast," where they competed in Space Quiz Fun Time 9000. He’s even voiced cartoon characters on "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" (where he played a mentally unbalanced talking doll), "King of the Hill" (where he played an aspiring wizard who lived with his mom), and "Scooby Doo: Night of the Living Doo" (where he played himself). He’s also had little, tiny, holy-crap-was-that-David-Cross? roles in a few big movies (Scary Movie 2, The Cable Guy, both Men in Black films) and some smaller but well-received ones (The Truth About Cats and Dogs, Ghost World, Waiting for Guffman, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind). And, of course, he’s appeared in crap, like Bucket of Blood a.k.a. Dark Secret a.k.a. The Death Artist a.k.a. Roger Corman Presents Bucket of Blood, and 1999’s Can’t Stop Dancing. David can also be seen playing a teacher at the Rock Star Academy in the video for Yo La Tengo's "Sugarcube."

David Cross' own favorite comedy shows are The Daily Show, The Simpsons, and All in the Family, and in the way of stand-up he likes Andy Kaufman, Bill Hicks, Steven Wright, Richard Pryor, and Steve Martin. No surprises there.

While his inimitable comedy on Mr. Show didn't really serve as a springboard for David's career, he started getting significantly more public and critical notice in the wake of his brilliant contribution to the series "Arrested Development". During the show's tragically truncated run, David Cross played the closeted aspiring actor Tobias Fünke. The sight of Tobias in full-body blue makeup (due, like almost everything else in "Arrested Development," to a misunderstanding) was one of the show's defining moments.


http://www.imdb.com
http://www.bobanddavid.com
http://comedynerd.8m.com/daveed/dcbios.html
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/358/358313p1.html
thanks kozmund for additional info and Rapscallion for reminding me that it wasn't 2003 anymore and some other stuff had happened

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.