Cornell University, a member of the Ivy League, is located in Ithaca, a small beautiful town. Summer in Ithaca is lovely, but most students aren't there then. So memories of Cornell usually involve snow covering the ground and chilly wind blowing against backpacks. A diverse University, offering classes all the way from wine-tasting to machine learning. The students like to whine and bicker about the University, but a lot of them are deeply in love with it.

Cornell University is the current academic institution to have the privilege of spoon-feeding me knowledge. Unfortunately, the knowledge is being rammed down my mouth way too fast, and I'm choking at the moment. I am a student of the engineering school, which is far superior to every other Ivy League engineering program.

Cornell is famous for its bad layout, weather and quality of education. Cornell has two main undergrad residence halls, North Campus and West Campus. If you live in West, you have to climb a huge hill (Libe Slope) every day to get to class, often covered in huge snow drifts. If you live in North Campus, expect to leave early, because it can take up to 30 minutes just to walk to engineering. Plus the snow. Always the snow. And the occasional blizzard.

Cornell's buildings are mostly old and ugly. All rright, this is coming from a disgruntled student, but believe me, they are pretty ugly. Kimball Hall and Uris Hall are the worst. Rockefeller Hall comes close. The Engineering Quad is the pit of Cornell. The Arts Quad comes close, having atrocious examples of architecture such as Morrill Hall and Goldwin Smith.

The quality of education in Cornell ranks up there with that of Harvard, MIT and Stanford. The school teaches almost anything imaginable. Engineering, agriculture, biology, hotel and government are among the specialities of this school. Architects and hotelies are ridiculed by everyone else.

The political attitude of Cornell is ultraliberal, probably due to the New York influence. The administrapo regularly tramples on the rights of students, infringes on their rights, and the student assembly is ridiculously loose-handed with other people's money. Conservatives would be lynched there if it wasn't illegal. Many leftist activist professors reside at Cornell, haunting the halls of the Arts Quad, like a bad stink.

We are only good at hockey, and we kick Harvard's ass every time we play them. We used to have stars here at Cornell such as Joe Nieuwendyk and Ken Dryden, but the 1999 team is not exactly one of the better vintages of Cornell hockey. We still beat Harvard, so it's OK. We suck at every other sport, maybe except crew.

All in all, Cornell is a very good school, especially for engineers. Its politics is abhorrently leftist, but I can ignore that for the sake of a good education.

Cornell University is known internationally for its College of Veterinary Medicine -- at least among those interested in the profession. According to it's own Web site, the university imposed the highest requirements of any university on its veterinary students the day it opened in 1868, and was the first university in the United States to assign a professor to that study.

The place is also rather a shock to visit if you're used to the American Midwest, since half the campus is built on the side of a mountain. I wouldn't ride a bicycle on that campus if you paid me, since one out of control ride across the quad would send me plummeting to a stony death. Spectacular view, though.

Prestigious Ivy League university located in Ithaca, New York, USA. Known for its liberal student activists and racial strife, as well as its hotel school and engineering program (among others). Scenic green tree-lined campus, when it isn't covered in 2 feet of snow. Since sports is my main topic of expertise, I present...

Cornell sports

Cornell sports are interesting in that ice hockey gets more fan support than basketball or football. Lacrosse and wrestling also get strong support, and often outdraw the men's basketball team. The team name is the Big Red.

The men's hockey team is the main "place to be seen" sport at Cornell. Historically, Cornell has one of the better hockey teams in the nation, winning the NCAA championships in 1967 and 1970. In 1970, Cornell won all 29 games they played, the only perfect season in NCAA hockey history. Famous former Cornell hockey players include Ken Dryden and Joe Nieuwendyk (currently of the Dallas Stars). The hockey team competes in the ECAC and plays its home games at Lynah Rink, whose seating capacity of 3822 is usually full.

The men's lacrosse team has about as much history as the ice hockey team, winning NCAA titles in 1971, 1976 and 1977. Cornell also lost in the championship game in 1978, 1987, and 1988.

Cornell football has had much less success than the above two teams. The football squad has won the Ivy title in 1971, 1988, and 1990; all three times tied with another team. (The Ivy League does not have any tiebreakers. If two or more teams finish with the same record, all the tied teams are declared champions.) Cornell football is most known for their all-time leading rusher, Hill Street Blues actor Ed Marinaro.

Cornell men's basketball has traditionally been near the bottom of the league. The Big Red's only Ivy title since the 1950s came in 1988 (that year, Cornell got destroyed by Arizona 90-50 in the first round of the NCAA tournament). However, that was the last time a team other than Penn or Princeton won the league.

Wrestling, men's soccer, and polo are other sports in which Cornell has been traditionally strong. However, hockey's numero uno to most students who care about sports at all.

Cornell Big Red University
The Cornell Big Red, is a University with sports programs apart of the Ivy League. Cornell University is located approximately 60 miles south of Syracuse in Ithaca, central New York. Cornell University was chartered in 1865. Opening Day ceremonies were held on October 7, 1868 before a student body of 412 students.

Cornell's colors are carnelian and white. There is no official Cornell mascot. A bear is often associated with Cornell athletics, but are known as "The Big Red."

The lyrics to the Cornell Alma Mater are:
Far above Cayuga's waters
With its waves of blue
Stands our noble Alma Mater
Glorious to view
Refrain: Lift the chorus
Speed it onward
Loud her praises tell
Hail to thee our Alma Mater
Hail, all hail, Cornell!

Far above the busy humming
Of the bustling town
Reared against the arch of heaven
Looks she proudly down
Refrain

Sentry-like o'er lake and valley
Towers her regal form
Watch and ward forever keeping
Braving time and storm
So through clouds of doubt and darkness
Gleams her beacon light
Fault and error clear revealing
Blazing forth the right

To the glory of her founder
Rise her stately walls
May her sons pay equal tribute
Whene'er duty calls
When the moments swiftly fleeting
Ages roll between
Many yet unborn shall hail her
Alma Mater, Queen!

In the music of the waters
As they glide along
In the murmur of the breezes
With their whispered song
In the tuneful chorus blending
With each pealing bell
One refrain seems oft repeated
Hail, all hail, Cornell

Here, by flood and foaming torrent
Gorge and rocky dell
Pledge we faith and homage ever
To our loved Cornell.
May time ne'er efface the memory
Of her natal day
And her name and fame be honored
Far and wide away!

President's Informative Welcome:

Cornellians are among the world's leaders in information technology. Our campus is home to many of the Internet pioneers of the 1960s and 70s who blazed information trails via telephone lines from one research institution to another.

Today, Cornell's Center for Theory and Simulation in Science and Engineering boasts one of the largest and fastest supercomputers in academia. Each hour, thousands of Cornellians communicate with one another via electronic mail here on our Ithaca campus and all around the world. Students can check their grades, review materials in the Cornell University Library, and pre-register for classes all from their residence hall rooms.

Cornell is also an institution with rich offerings in the humanities, the arts, the sciences and the social sciences. From the Department of Policy Analysis and Management to my own field of Classics, you will encounter leading scholars whose contributions to the Cornell experience - as teachers, advisors, researchers and friends - are tremendous.
Hunter R. Rawlings III
President
Professor of Classics


Sources used in the making of this node:
http://cornellbigred.ocsn.com/
http://www.cornell.edu/
http://www.admissions.cornell.edu/AtoZ.cfm
http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/

Cornell and the Grateful Dead

On May 8, 1977, Cornell University's Barton Hall hosted what is widely hailed as the greatest Dead show ever. Any fan with more than a few hours of tape (or .shn) owns a copy. Sound engineer Betty Cantor's original soundboard tape is by far the most common source, although an audience recording also exists.

Interestingly, the band does not own a copy of one of their best known shows. Many of Cantor's recordings (collectively known as the Betty Boards) were abandoned in a storage locker and ultimately auctioned off to a group of anonymous bidders. Freely-traded copies of 5/8/77 can easily be obtained online or from your friendly local Deadheads.

Barton Hall itself was built shortly before World War I to house the military science department; it was named after Colonel Frank A. Barton, an 1891 Cornell grad and a professor at the university between 1904 and 1908. It contains an indoor track and basketball courts, and can still be reserved for public events.

Set One

Set Two



Sources
http://www.cornell.edu

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.