And now for an enlargened account: a punk rock band that included
Lint (Tim) - guitar, vocals  
Jesse - vocals  
Matt McCall - bass, vocals  
Dave Mello - drums, vocals  
Paul Bae plays sax  
They are most remembered for their amazing energy and crowd empathy: they wrote what they believed in, and sang with enthuisasm. They were punk to the bone. Unfortunately, they felt they had to break up when things became to corporate (very unpunk) and too much money was involved (many of those involved were socialist) The albums:
The records: (yeah, i said records. Yeah those are those weird thing your parents used.)
Lint: The King of Ska
Turn It Around
hectic
energy <---probably their best
unreleased energy or hedge rock
plea for peace
seedy
'69 Newport
Lint Rides Again
The Things that Ate Floyd
Live at Gillman
Ramodes
East Bay
CD's:
Unity


Operation Ivy was the first-ever series of hydrogen bomb tests, carried out by Joint Task Force 132 at Enewetak Atoll in the Pacific Proving Grounds. The tests were coordinated by the Atomic Energy Commission and the Joint Chiefs of Staff. The first bomb dropped in this operation was "Mike", a 10.4 megaton blast roughly 750 times as powerful as the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima. Mike vaporized the entire test island.

The second Operation Ivy test was the "King" shot, a pure fission device using Oralloy (pure U235) air-dropped on November 19, 1952. King was a 500 kiloton shot, which left a one mile wide crater and blanketed dozens of neighboring islands with radioactive fallout, thanks to the winds (not that dropping an immense nuclear device had anything to do with it...).
----
Thanks to Grzcyrgba for the correction on the Ivy King test.

To expand on VAXGeek's comment, Operation Ivy's Lint (Tim Armstrong) and Matt (real name Matt Freeman) now form the nucleus of the very much alive punk band Rancid. They reminisce about their OpIV days with the tune "Journey to the End of the East Bay" on their 1995 album And Out Come the Wolves. OpIV's glory days ran from about 1987 to 1989.

On a personal note, I did not encounter OpIV's music until something like 1996. Suffice it to say that I consider my life prior to listening to their music to have been much darker and emptier than it could have been had I been a little more with it in my youth.

Here are some Operation Ivy lyrics. Man, I love this band. BTW, I did not node all these songs. Psk, neil and StopTheViolins did several before I got the idea. I just assembled this listing and plugged the holes.

Album: Energy (1989)

Album: Plea For Peace (1992)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.