Hockey goaltender for the Montreal Canadiens in the 1970s. Member of The Hockey Hall of Fame. Regarded by many as one of the top goaltenders of all-time.

Dryden (DOB: 8/8/47; Hamilton, Ontario) was actually drafted by the Boston Bruins in 1964, before being traded to Montreal.

Dryden went to college at Cornell University, leading the Big Red to the NCAA championship in 1967. A common misconception is that Dryden was the goalie for Cornell's 1970 championship team, which remains the only perfect (undefeated, untied) team in NCAA division I hockey history. The goalie that season was Brian Cropper, not Dryden.

After starting his NHL career with just 6 games for Montreal in the 1970-1971 season, Dryden shockingly was the Habs' goalie in the playoffs that year, leading them to the Stanley Cup, winning the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP. The next season, Dryden won the Calder Trophy, as NHL Rookie of the Year

After a contract dispute, before the 1973-4 season, Dryden "retired" and became a clerk at a law firm for the season. He came back to the Canadiens for the 1974-5 season and went on to be the goalie for Montreal's 4 straight Stanley Cups in the late '70s.

Dryden retired (permanently this time) in 1979, at the young age of 31.

In only 8 NHL seasons, Dryden led Montreal to 6 Stanley Cups and won the Vezina Trophy (as the NHL's top goalie) 5 times.

Dryden was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1983.

He is currently the president of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

In his honor, the ECAC (hockey conference of which Cornell is a part) gives out the Ken Dryden Award to the conference's best goalie annually.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.