A wonderful brand of boots. We're not talking Doc Martens here, you'll get some pretty strange looks if you wear your Sorrels out on the dance floor. We're talking the kind of boots you'd wear if it was January, you were in Northern Minnesota and it was time to go chop some wood for the fire.

The boots are comprised of two parts, the shell and the liner. The shell is leather, with a rubber sole. The tongue is stitched to the boot on both sides so it's not much of a tongue at all. This prevents water, snow and whatever else you might step in from getting into the boot. Of course I remember learning the hard way that once the water got to be more than about eight inches deep what is designed to keep water out also keeps water in. It was always amazing to get home and see just how much water those boots could hold as I dumped it out on to the kitchen floor (much to my mother's chagrin).

The liners were also nifty. They have fake fur at the top to keep snow out of your boot. Of course, this does nothing to keep water from spilling over the top of the boot. The liners are removable which is nice for two reasons. First, if you're an elementry school student who likes to walk through the swamp on his way home from school, this facilitates the drying of the boot as you can place the liner on the heat vent and it will be ready for you the next morning. Second, wool (or whatever these things are made of) wears out much more quickly than the leather and rubber of the shells. When your liners wear out you can buy new ones for a fraction of the cost of new boots.