Spicy Mexican Rice
A staple in my diet, this is a truly wonderful Mexican rice, as it is very versatile with ingredients and can be made as hot or mild as you like it. It is vegetarian, but cooked chicken may be added if you so desire. I personally add tons of chili powder because I'm a bit of a masochist when it comes to my tastebuds. The quantity of rice that you make can also be adjusted easily by changing the length of time the rice is cooked. For a single serving with 2/3 cup of rice, I let it simmer for about 12 minutes.\
This rice will make your home smell wonderful.
* Starred ingredients are optional
. You may use more or less of these depending on your taste
- In a medium sized pot over a medium flame, brown the rice in the oil while stirring constantly. This may take a few minutes.
- Once rice is slightly browned, add all other ingredients and stir.
- Turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. This may also take a few minutes.
- Cover, turn heat to low and simmer for approximately 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. It is reccomended that you add 1 tablespoon 15ml extra oil to prevent burning.
- Remove from heat, remove lid and let cool 3-4 minutes. Serve and eat.
I recommend serving this rice with bread, and milk if made particularly spicy.