Introduction

In the back of my mind I would like to survey the writing systems of the world, but rather than working from general to specific , as I'm inclined to do, I'd like to create needed nodes and pull them together later into a metanode of writing systems, thus avoiding the criticism of creating nodes without links.

E2 already has an excellent node for cuneiform. This writeup was created to pull together information located in the many writeups that already exist and to add new information.

Description

The name cuneiform technically does not refer to a writing system. The term is applied to several kinds of writing systems, including:
  • logo-syllabic - (a mixture of word signs and syllables
  • syllabic - signs representing combinations of sounds, usually consonant + vowel
  • alphabetic - signs representing individual sounds of the language


  • The word comes from the Latin cuneus, which means wedge. Therefore, any writing system can be called cuneiform whenever individual signs are composed of wedges. Many languages, including Semitic, Indo-European, and isolates (languages that appear to be unrelated to any other group) are written in cuneiform.

    Earliest Examples

    The first examples of this script appear in the form of clay tokens which date back to end of the 4th millenium BCE, arising at the same time as the the development of urban centers like Nippur, Susa, and Ur. These early records are used almost exclusively for accounting and record keeping. Evidence of clay tokens of various sizes and shapes were used for counting as far back as 8,000 BC.

    Languages using cuneform

  • Sumerian
  • Akkadian/Assyrian/Babylonian (Eastern Semitic)
  • Elamite
  • Eblaite
  • Hittite
  • Hurrian
  • Ugaritic: This is actually an alphabetic system.
  • Old Persian: a mostly syllabic system, but there are a few logograms